Help Need 89XJ Starting to Run Like #/!% - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help Need 89XJ Starting to Run Like #/!%

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
AngryDog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Help Need 89XJ Starting to Run Like #/!%

OK here is what I got. I bought a 89XJ 4.0I last fall went through the whole thing mecanically, plugs, rotor, wires, cap, cold air intake, IAC cleaned, CPS, MAP sensor, all new vac hoses, fuel pump and filter, battery and cables, cleaned the carb and a lot of other stuff. It has run like a top until about two weeks ago. It started to run almost like it was skipping but I don't think so. I was only doing it when I was going uphill until yesterday. Today I take it into town and it ran pretty good. Then this after noon I was helping out a bud and it was like -=-=-=-=. Chugging almost to the point of stalling. WHen I got it moving some and increased the gas quiet a bit it seemed to smooth out some. But I still could feel it chugging a bit. Parked in the drive until tommrow. Any ideas my fellow XJers? Ialmost seemed today to be not getting fuel, but when I increased the throttle it smooths out quiet a bit. Then back to chugging at low speeds. Give me some ideas where to start looking.

God says, “Choose for yourselves today whom you will serve”
As for me and my house, we choose the Lord. Joshua 24:15
AngryDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Clogged Cat Converter?
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
AngryDog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBastard
Clogged Cat Converter?

Thanks but I forgot to mention I also changed the exhaust from the manifold all the way back, including the cat and O2 sensor. Anymore info?

Unread 07-21-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

When my coil started going out, it would bog a little at lower rpms. The it eventually would die if the RPMs went lower than 1100.

I would say get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure that the pressure isn't dropping at the surge. If it isn't that, I'd say look into the idea of a bad ign module to the coil or a bad coil itself.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
Kuasimodem

Check all of your vacuum lines for cracks, especially around the ends. Heat from the engine components can cause them to harden and crack at those locations.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
dka1ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
I would say get a fuel pressure gauge and make sure that the pressure isn't dropping at the surge. If it isn't that, I'd say look into the idea of a bad ign module to the coil or a bad coil itself.
My S-10 had odd symptoms when the coil was going out as well, runs good intermittently etc.. Does it backfire any, under heavy load?

Ign. module and coil are easy to test, Autozone even will best the module and coil for you I believe. A fuel press gauge isn't too expensive either. I
[URL=http://www.geocities.com/dka1ser/Jeep.html][SIZE=3]98 Cherokee Sport:[/SIZE][/URL][list][*]4x4, 4.0l, auto trans, 8.25" rear[*]brush guard, LT235/75R15 BFG's[*]class III hitch for pulling my Chris Craft[*]soon to come, Rusty's 3" lift with full leafs[/list]Other toys:
[URL=http://www.geocities.com/dka1ser/Focus.html]2000 Ford Focus ZX3[/URL]
[URL=http://www.geocities.com/dka1ser/chriscraft.html]1964 Chris Craft Corsair w/Ford 260 Interceptor[/URL]
dka1ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Txaircraftmech

I have to agree with those guys, yes I believe its the distributor that might be cracked. We always check that on Aircraft engines because we cannot have that flying. Where would you pull over in the sky so it has to be in a working top before it leaves the ground.
Txaircraftmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
AngryDog
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the Help

Thanks for all the help and ideas. After a scary trip into town for a doctors appoinment, dam thing started up again, chugging, backfire, and stalling. So much so the muffler overheated and caught the rug liner on fire. Then I went to NAPA and got new plugs, wires, cap and rotor also seafoamed her. Swapped them out all to no avail. Went back and done somemore research and found a couple of posts on it could be the ballast resistor. Jumped the thing and viola, it run like a top again. Took it to town and got a new one. Back in bussiness.

Question:
Just what does that thing do? I new it didn't start wothout it but I did not know it could make a viechle run like that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.