Help with my new XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help with my new XJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Help with my new XJ

Hey all,

I recently got a new Jeep a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 5 speed as a present. I have some ideas as to what I would like to do to it but I have questions first. I want to put new tires on the XJ but I'm not sure which tires that I should go with. Here are the tire choices. I am open to tire suggestions as I am looking for cost effective approach if there is a mud tire that preforms well and its cheep I will consider it.

31X10.50R15LT (Cooper STT)

32X11.50R15LT (Cooper STT)

or

31X10.50R15LT (Toyo Open Country M/T)

I'm looking for a mud terrain tire. I'm just a bit scared about the Cooper STT because I have heard that it is a 2 ply side wall now can someone confirm or deny this for me please? Between the 2 brands of tires which one of the brands would you choose for an XJ? Please tell me why with pros and cons.

With the tire sizes mentioned I would most likely would have to lift it I was thinking a 3.5 inch lift kit but I don't know what brand to choose from maybe the XJ owners of this forum can help me decide. I would like to clear the 32X11.50R15 Cooper STT's but I have no idea how much of a lift that would take and what I would need to do to fit that size tire. I'm willing to trim my fenders but at some point I think I will put TJ fender flares on my XJ.

Restruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
maimedsk8er
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, personally I would buy the Toyo's. I did my 2" lift which allows for 31's no problem by going to the scrapyard and picking up a leaf pack from a dakota. Any 2.5" pack will do as long as the first and second leaves are the same thickness. Check the length of the leaf that you want to put into the pack, I went with the option of making a number two leaf, as this is the softer area in the leaf pack. Cut two leaves at that length and rebuild your XJ's packs, then reinstall. I did mine on the Jeep, without removing the shackle mounted leaves. Gave me 2.25" lift in the rear. I did one side at a time to keep my rear end centered.
For springs find a Grand Cherokee that has the 5.7L V8 under the hood. Rob the coil springs and isolators(the rubber rings at the top of the springs). Put those on your Jeep, leaving in place the old spring isolators to act as a spacer(xtra lift).
I also went out an got a set of Rancho 9000s absorbers for all four sides. Stock shocks will work with a 2" lift but not so well. Go for shocks that are designed for a 3" lift and you'll be fine.

Total cost was under 400 bucks, all in.
Unread 12-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Why would you choose the Toyos over the Cooper STT's? I'm just wondering why.m As said I'm open to tire suggestions. Also a 2" lift will clear the 31" Toyo's should I choose to go with? I looked online on the Toyo website and it says that the Toyo M/T is a 31.1" tire will that make much of a difference? I just want to be able to clear the tires so I don't have any rubbing issues but I will trim my fenders to make the tires fit.

The reason why I want to go with a lift bigger than 2"s is because all my friends have a 3.5 or bigger lift.

Can anyone suggest a good lift for me that can clear the 31"s no problem with no rubbing?

maimedsk8er
|
V

I'm not really that good with cars at all my friends are the ones who are good with them. I just don't feel comfortable doing a junkyard lift as I would have no idea what I would need and chances are is that I would just get ripped off by the junkyards I live around. But I will keep that in mind thank you maimedsk8er.
Restruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Rock1jeep0
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rough country sells cheap lifts that from what i've read ride rough other wise if you want a smoother ride your gonna spend more than 800 dollars or so from what i've read i'm looking at getting a 4" rocky road outfitters lift at about 900 dollars feel free to correct me if i'm wrong i'm pretty new to the jeep scene as well.
Rock1jeep0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I was running stt tires they were bald old and beat but never blew the side wall and even with not much meat at all still worked great. The mts ae still a vry similar tire. If it was me I would just get the cheaper one of two.for lift I would do a shackl lift and never seize the crap out of the bolts and my thoughts don't use a tcase drop if you buy a cheap kit I has many issuse with the drops

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.