Help my Jeep wont start! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help my Jeep wont start!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
sbarr42
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Help my Jeep wont start!

Hi there fellow jeep enthusiast. For the last couple weeks I have been struggling trying to get my jeep up and running. here's a little info and a list of the following parts that have been replaced since its broke down.
My dad purchased my Cherokee brand new in 1996, with only about 20 miles on it. its never had any other owner besides him, and of course me. its got 198,000 miles on it and has never had any major problems with it. of course we have done regular tune-ups and oil changes but besides that it gets a small transmission leak every couple years.
I got out of work one night and went to start it up but it would not crank. It was trying but would not turn over. we went to the manual because that's what we have always used before and started going down the line trying to solve the problem. unfortunately we could get nothing to work. we went ahead and changed the distributor cap, the rotor, coil, and 6 new spark plugs because we weren't getting and spark. after we replaced all that we got spark, but still it would not start. we then checked to see if it was getting any gas, but it wasn't. so we replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump(neither has ever been changed) after that we got fuel. still she wouldn't start for me. i asked around to some other jeep owner and mechanics and they told me to replace the crank shaft sensor because that's a common problem in jeeps. so i went out and got a new crank sensor and threw it on there. still got nothing. after that i went and rented an obd2 scanner from auto-zone to plug it up to try and diagnose the problem unfortunately for whatever reason the scanner would not sync up to my car, therefore not giving me any reading or codes. after that i checked to see if the timing belt(not chain)
was shot(because its never been changed either) but when i turn the car over the rocker arms are moving inside oil fill. that's all Ive done so far and I'm completely stuck and trying to avoid the mechanics at all cost. if anyone can help please please give your input! its much appreciated and thanks for bearing with this dreadfully long thread.

sbarr42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
kylelister12

check the throttle positioning sensor mine had the same problem it would just keep cranking and never turn.
kylelister12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

did you check to make sure your timing is right and your rotor gears are set correctly? Also, did you get a good crank position sensor? Some of the Chinese ones have been known to be faulty out of the box, either get it from NAPA or the dealer.

Try swapping your replays as well, and check your ground points. those are all a solid place to start troubleshooting these gremlins.

Tags
jeep build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.