Help with my 1st Jeep build! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help with my 1st Jeep build!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
BeLIEve
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Help with my 1st Jeep build!

Hey everyone, I posted an intro thread in the Registry with a bunch of pics of my 1st Jeep. I'm really excited to get started on a solid build, as a former Army Medic and a current SAR/Paramedic student, I'd like to make my build as functional as possible for work purposes. I'm starting to put together a list, and I've already made friends with the counter drones and manager at my local auto parts store. (Lucky for me it's right across the street.)

I need to clean it up a little bit and fix a few important things before I move on to mods.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/did-i-get-good-deal-my-first-jeep-631853/

That's the pics and description.

So here's my list I just made:

-Fix Electrical Issues (Priority)
-These are many and major. If I wasn't a shadetree trying to get to know my vehicle extremely well, I'd just drop it off at a shop, but I figure it's better to blow an extra day or two of "get to know you time" even if it's less than efficient.
-Front Parking light is out. With a test light, I get power to both connections in the socket. When I turn the left indicator on it stays solid (no blinking) as long as the headlights are OFF. If I turn the headlights ON, no lights in the front indicator or parking light.
-No reverse lights at all.
-Seat Belt chime makes a sound like a demon from the bowels of hell.
-No horn.
-Aux Fan Relay is bad. (On 3 day backorder)
-Various interior bulbs, decklights.

Fix air induction hose?

-New tires. (I have about a $600 budget for this and I am looking to buy them this weekend.)

-Replace broken Driver Window and Driver Rear Glass

-Fix Ignition Bezel

-Replace radio

-Replace Foglights See a pattern developing here?

-Remove bumpercaps and fender flairs. Unsure of what to do beyond that. Maybe Krylon and put them back on?

-Remove rear seats and carpet, and bedline the interior I have a SAR K9 and need to install a Kennel in the rear.

Upgrades involve a 6" lift, Kevlar panels in the doors and liftgate, MDT mounts, longarm rack, rock lights, wigwags/whaler, QBeams, upgraded alternator/gel cell battery, power converter, GPS, lockboxes, undercarriage spare tire mount, roll cage and some classes for myself in Offroading and Trail Repair.

Any advice on current issues (especially the electrical) and future upgrades would be much appreciated. I'm in school full time to be a Paramedic here in Oregon, and plan to spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME doing this.

Thank in advance for all the help. This site is an amazing resource and I will be more than happy to contribute financially next Thursday. (Tuition+Kids=fun...!)

Anger ruins joy. Steals the goodness of my mind. Forces my mouth to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind. Leads to a mind without regrets. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
BeLIEve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Whackmaster
1999 XJ Cherokee 

For the electric issues I would check and see if you have an aftermarket trailer wiring harness....If those are wired improperly they will give you electric issues....Something to check. Good Luck
Whackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
BayouBengal85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

under carriage spare mount?

as far as i know, there's no way (or room for that matter) to mount a spare tire under an xj. i may be wrong, but never heard of or seen it done. if you have seen it and have pics please post cuz i would love to see it

BTW, not trying to be a smart a$$
Fram Air Hog Filter
Magnaflow Hi Flow Catalytic Converter
Dynomax Superturbo Catback Exhaust
BayouBengal85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
BayouBengal85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damn double post, my bad
Fram Air Hog Filter

Last edited by BayouBengal85; 11-15-2008 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: double post
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Steamer98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ambitious list!
As you get more familiar with your XJ and these forums some things will change as far as what you want to do. Take your time...
Like the 6" lift, thats about as high as any XJ needs to be, and many mod$ come with that height for a reliable rig that can be very expensive to do all at once. The fun is in building and learning, things will grow as time/budget progresses. Start with your basic issues, then move on to recovery, and armor.

Stock XJ tire carrier for sale
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424930
Steamer98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
BayouBengal85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sorry about the triple post, internet connections been acting up and i didn't realize it submitted more than once
Fram Air Hog Filter

Last edited by BayouBengal85; 11-15-2008 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: double post
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^

If you have a K9 unit I would only go with a 4.5 inch just to make it easier on the pup. Yes I know that most can jump that high but why make them do it when they dont have to.

I have worked with the K9 units when training with my fire department and they are awesome dogs in every way.

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For your parking lamps and reverse I know what the problems will probably be.

Reverse is more than likely the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch), which is on the side of your AW4. That you will have to remove and clean, which should fix your reverse lights in a cinch. the Write-up I used is the Jeepin.com one seen here, and this project should take you maybe 2-3 hours at the most (extreme most, I'd say).

Now, for your parking lamps, my friend's old 94 Ciera had this problem at times. With your fuses you should have two silver/cylindrical looking things, and I believe one is a parking lamp fuse/relay (I forget which), and that may be bad or a bit out of whack. With his, they replaced it and it worked for a while. Then it started to act up again (this was when I was driving it), and they removed it, looked at it, and it looked fine. So they put it back in, and it worked fine again. Mind you, I'm not sure on this advice, but check a manual if you can to make sure that's how the lamps operate with the fuses.

That's all I've got for now, and good luck!
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.