Help Me understand HCV - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help Me understand HCV

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Help Me understand HCV

Ok so let me start by saying that I live in a part of California that is humid, hot, and dry. We get 105+ degree weather here with high humidity. Now with that said I've been reading a lot on the HCV that my new to me 96 XJ that was originally from Colorado does not have. So I have hot water running into the heater core while my A/C is on. I've read many post where people debate as to no significant difference in the A/C temps with the heater bypassed. However I've seen post that say A/C temps seem better with the heater bypassed. Note I used the word "seem" as no objective evidence has been presented. So has anyone out there bypassed the heater using the HCV and achieved better A/C cooling? I just had my A/C serviced do to PO replacing compressor and everything is working fine gauges read good (per a/c tech) clutch cycles fine, liquid line is cold other line is hot etc. So I feel its logical to contend that if my A/C is running in extreme weather i.e. 105+ high humidity and then I have the good old heater core pumping hot water through it that this will have its effects on my A/C cooling efficiency. So I'm willing to do the install and it seems fairly easy, but my concern is with what seems to be the vacuum hose on the HCV. Where does this go to? Does it even have a vacuum hose? I don't have the part, but it seems from pictures that it has vacuum. Also my blend door is closed while on Max A/C. Any thought, suggestion, stories etc.

hshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

This should be the same as yours.

My AC system would always blow through the heater core for at least 30 seconds before the door would shut and it would bypass the heater core. Even then it still leaks by that door as the seal is old and crappy. My heater core valve was stuck open all the time too. So I zip tied the heater core valve closed and the blend door to always bypass the heater core.

I noticed on start up it would get cooler MUCH faster, and if I went into a store and came back out in 5 minutes I would not be blasted with a heat gun for 30 seconds. Closing that door also gave me allot more airflow through the vents as well. We have been in the mid 90° temps here and the AC in this jeep will actually make you uncomfortably cold, and I have zero window tinting.

Max AC will recurculate the air in the cab, Normal will draw in fresh air, those are the only differences.

I would bypass it till winter, or put a valve in there. Yes it runs off of vacuum, No vacuum its open, vacuum applied and it closes. You can T it into any of the vacuum lines coming out by the throttle body.

If you really want I can run a test with the heater core flowing and blocked off.

Unread 05-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
fishtaconc
2004 WJ 

As Max78 stated if the seal around the blend door is failing it could cause them to fight one another. At the same time Jeep did away with them (HCV) on the later 96s through the end of production. Personally I wouldn't be concerned about it, as they are just another failure point in the cooling system, if you do feel that it is affecting your A/C performance, you can always install a boiler valve, its brass so it wont get brittle and break like the plastice HCVs. just my $.02
fishtaconc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

"So I zip tied the heater core valve closed and the blend door to always bypass the heater core. "

So it seems like I overlooked my XJ it does have the HCV and it seems like its connected properly i.e. vacuum etc. Now my question is how do I know it's closed or bypassing the heater core? How do you get the blend door to always bypass the heater core? How can I do this which way should I crawl under the dash? See In the morning my A/C is nice and cool, but come 12pm it can't keep up. Thanks for the help...
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I live in Arizona and have eliminated numerous HCVs with no ill effects. Make sure your blend air door is closing completely when the control is moved all the way to the left and you'll be fine.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so I see a pic of the ac unit stuff, but how should I go bout doing this i.e. blend door closing?
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Blend door is under the passenger side dash. Poke your noggin under there. With your left hand, move the dash temp lever back and forth. It's moving the door up under the dash. Where the cable attaches to the lever under the dash, make sure the lever is going all the way back to it's stop when the lever on the dash is all the way to the left. If it isn't, the clip on the cable is easily adjusted.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a sucker for zip ties. . . lol. Maybe I'll get under there and fix it correctly one of these days. . .

Just a note, my cable was loose and the blend door did not move when the temp selector was moved in either direction, yours might be connected correctly, just poke your head under there and look.

Unread 05-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I'll check today, thanks!
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max78 View Post
I'm a sucker for zip ties. . . lol. Maybe I'll get under there and fix it correctly one of these days. . .

Just a note, my cable was loose and the blend door did not move when the temp selector was moved in either direction, yours might be connected correctly, just poke your head under there and look.

I stole your photo...LOL.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
I stole your photo...LOL.
Thats fine, making a redneck how to? Zip ties and stuff
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The door was open just so you guys know. Thanks!
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshark View Post
The door was open just so you guys know. Thanks!
Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.