Help Me with My Cherokee, please? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help Me with My Cherokee, please?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-25-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Help Me with My Cherokee, please?

Hi everyone I am a new member here on the forum I hope I can be of help in my small way and you can help me in return.

My problem is with my 87 Cherokee Laredo the story is that this car was given to me Scott free after it had been in the family for almost 20 years, what they did not tell me however is that the car sat outside in the Arizona sun for the last 4 years. So my trial has been to get the beastly car to driving condition again because frankly I hate the way how new jeeps look too... soft and aerodynamic. plus this one was free.

Car specs:
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo.
4WD Inline 6 cylinder. With the chrome bumpers and door handles.
White with Tan interior all stock.
Never in a major accident.

Now onto What does work and I have done so far
  1. It turns over and runs, It also stops and has good pads and rotors, the handbrake, 4WD, Lights both interior and Dash and running, and the Wipers.
  2. Washers except the rear the hose and fitting was lost long ago and now when it runs it looks like the car is whizzing on the person behind me out of rage or spite.
  3. It has seat belts and seats?
  4. It has a working heater and vent.
  5. I had the engine cooling system flushed and it runs cool that or the gauge is broken.
  6. I had the Tranny, Diffs, Engine all flushed and changed.
  7. New Air and Oil Filter.
  8. Some of the vacuum harness (I learned the hard way not to just pull on something)
  9. New Tires.
  10. New Gas Tank.
  11. New Master Cylinder and Booster.
  12. New Cylinder head gasket.
  13. New Headlight and Turn Signal Switch.
  14. New Battery.
  15. New Bulbs for the dash lights. The previous owner was so smart to remove the check engine light.

Now for what does not work
  1. The car has a non Working AC and I was told that the compressor that has a front seal leak as well as a high side hose leak by a garage that wanted 1200$ to do it for me.
  2. Windows that don't go up or down. I got the drivers side down once but When I put it up some dirt had become I don't know fused with the outer rubber seal and left a lovely scratch the length of the window.
  3. There is a huge loss of power in the car as it struggles to get up even the incline of a freeway on ramp.
  4. The accelerator and brakes are like stepping on a half deflated balloon or a soggy march-mellow.
  5. The RPM's dance around a bit and there is a delay in hitting the gas and the thing getting up and going. (I was told the distributor cap and rotor could be an issue since it still has the factory cap)

Random annoyance’s
After market alarm system. Great for my insurance rate, bad for me if I have to jump the car.
Sound system that half works and does not play CD-RW’s haha

I am at a tipping point wondering if I want to put more time, money and blood into this car. So I am consulting the Jeep forum gods for advice and wisdom to what to do next. As frankly the Chilton book has no detailed chapter on how to replace the AC compressor. (And I have 2 editions of the book) The car has 0 rust and is in great body shape except for the rear bumper had a slight low speed impact with a post 10 years ago and got tucked and pushed in a bit. The paint is old and needs to be repainted but I am willing to live with that is the car has AC.
Please don’t hesitate to be technical in your responses (Except for using moon speak) I may ask questions but I understand and catch on quickly.

Cheers mates

Oh here is a picture of Tough jeep white horse. (Don't ask unless you want a long story)

DSCN0154 by iknowkungfu77, on Flickr

Last edited by IKN0WKUNGFU; 05-25-2011 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: Typo's
IKN0WKUNGFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Bump anyone?
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

Cherokee looks nice. You could replace the ac compressor and high side hose yourself for about 300 and then just take it in for ac service if you don't have gauges and vaccum pump yourself.
carguy68ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Jcool
1993 XJ Cherokee 

window scratch is from the window regulator in the door, i have to replace mine as it scratched the windows.
for the windows not working are they power?
if so then check the driver door wire cluster for a broken power wire, had to fix mine too.

btw great find on that cherokee
it looks clean!
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_) 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L
Jcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

It kinda hinges on how important AC is to you. All the other stuff needed should be fairly straight forward.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Cherokee, the loss in power deal is probably the cap and rotor its cheap replace since its original. Plugs and wires to, maybe a new fuel filter. And as for your sig. Your jeep is a I6 not a v6 idk if that's what you were referring to.
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

@Jcool: I am getting power to the windows I checked with a volt meeter and all the switches work. they all whine something awful like there is something stuck or the motor is bound up. plus when they do decide to move they go down but I have to help them back up by hand.

@cruiser54: AC is fairly important to me and just looking at the parts it may or may not be cheaper to get that going instead of fixing the 2 front windows. the car sits through the summer right now because it is like driving a v6 oven and it almost gave me heat stroke last year. gotta love phoenix.

@austin6137: How difficult is it to replace the fuel filter i heard inline filters can be troublesome. and sorry I type so fast I sometimes have Typos haha.
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Fuel filter is super easy to replace. It's located forward of the fuel tank on the left frame rail.

Get the windows down a bit and then flood the window channels with silicone spray to see if they'll free up.
Then drive around with the windows down and pretend like you live up here in Prescott. LOL
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Its cool man, yea the fuel filter is easy like stated above. You came to the right place, this forum is full of a ton of great info.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
Unread 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
dreinecke
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not a bad looking XJ in my book. The paint actually looks fairly good in the picture, so I'd concentrate on the parts it needs.

The regulators can be replaced easily. I just did the passenger door in the daughter's '95.

Cleaning and tuning is all easy.

The AC could have more than a compressor issue. I'd have a reputable shop give it a once over, then get the parts and do it yourself if it isn't something too horrible.

If the car was free, what have you got to lose?
2005 KJ - Daughter

www.rmsresins.com
dreinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

@cruiser54: Alright thanks I am heading out to go buy a distributor and rotor + fuel filter right now. I will move to Prescott later. haha XD

@austin6137: This place is amazing I wish I came here first instead of trusting a garage, I might have a bit more money to get it lifted or something.

@dreinecke:Well thank you Sir, Someone told me not to get it painted, it would make me not want to take it out to have a good time for fear of a scratch.
But I had the AC looked over at a place called Fletcher's tires when this all began about a year and a half ago and they said what I stated above they suggested in the guys exact words: "new hoses both high and low side + compressor and a condenser, and a r134a conversion." thing is the system has NO freon in it right now as it leaked and the retard at the garage left the service ports back seated so I guess the compressor is now 100% banjacked. but on the print out I got on my receipt from the AC check it just says the compressor and high side hose is leaking, I don't know who to believe.
This begs a question, will I need to get new service ports for the compressor or will mine still work with r134a?
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Easy to convert to 134a. I've done both mine and my wife's along with a Miata I just sold. If it were me, I would a fittings, vacuum the system down, hopefully it holds the vacuum, put 1 can of 134a in with dye and check for leaks.
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
IKN0WKUNGFU
1987 XJ Cherokee 

@cruiser54: Ok sounds easy enough, that is up next after I bleed the brakes and take it for a drive to check some things.

In other news the Distributor cap and Rotor swap went well I spent a few extra dollars and went with a brass connecters type. this plus a new fuel filter installed has solved the power loss, idle, and acceleration issues. (thank god). it was that or the fact that I found that the job my uncle did installing new spark plugs and wires was not 100%, the 1st cylinder was not even connected and firing so with that connected it was a HUGE Difference.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Hey man we're here to help. It feels good to say you fixed it yourself instead of saying you paid to have it fixed. Plus cheaper lol.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.