Help a Jeep Girl Out- price check on transmission line replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help a Jeep Girl Out- price check on transmission line replacement

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements

Unread 12-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
KYJeepGirl1980
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Help a Jeep Girl Out- price check on transmission line replacement

Hello Fellow Jeepers! I have a 95 XJ that needs new transmission lines-at least that is what I thought, and what my jeep guy confirmed. I was driving in and I noticed it was kind of lurching a bit. When I would push on the gas it revved like it was in neutral and then slowly moved forward. As soon as I parked, there was transmission fluid leaking out pretty heavily. I took it to my regular jeep guy, he said it was the lines that were leaking. he refilled the transmission with fluid, drove it around the block and said it ran great-of course there was a trail of fluid the whole way.

He quoted me $575, which seemed really high to me. I have had my jeep for 17 years, and while I am no mechanic, I have gotten pretty good at knowing what is wrong and what it is going to cost. The thing is, he wasn't trying to rip me off, because he was actually trying to talk me out of fixing it! The place where he works only repairs Jeeps and they sell them as well. He has been very trustworthy and great to work with in the past. And like I said, he was actually saying that he didn't think I should "put more money in the money pit" so he wasn't trying to get my business.

He said the parts alone would be 250,then three hours of labor at $90 an hour (which is good for the area.) Am I crazy? Or is this really crazy high prices?

KYJeepGirl1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

craigslist mechanic,,or find a friend that knows how to turn wrenches,,,and get your parts from a junkyard,
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Rip off. ^^ Yeah jy; I pulled mine out for $30. Didn't take me nowhere near 3 hrs...
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
RIjon
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go to Rockauto and get new ones?

2008 Toyota Tundra RCSB Supercharged
1998 Cherokee Classic ..... work in progress
RIjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
grim626

1989 XJ Cherokee 

and he was trying to talk you out of fixing it cause like you said he fixes and sells them

‎ ._____________
/___/_|___\____\,
[/---\.____./---\]uIIIIIu]
(o)_)=o=)_ (o)_)=o=)_)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos37 View Post
(if u can see the top of ur jeep its not tall enough)
grim626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Is it the crimp fitting or the quick disconnect fitting that is leaking? If so, I cut mine off and flared the ends with a standard single flare tool that can be purchased at auto parts stores. Then connected the two ends with a piece of 3/8" reinforced fuel line. That seems high to replace both trans lines. The hard lines rarely leak so it depends on where it is leaking (trans or radiator). I own my flare tool, but they are about $15 or so and do not but the Harbor Freight one as it does not grip the line well. The hose cost $5 for a few feet and a couple hose clamps. And a tubing cutter from Harbor Freight cost $3 on sale.

I fixed my leaking quick disconnect fitting and crimp fitting last week. Cutting the lines, flaring the ends and topping the fluid off took about and hour or so.

Do you know where exactly it is leaking at? This would help us determine the best fix for you.
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
KYJeepGirl1980
1995 XJ Cherokee 

@ grim 626, he didn't want to buy it, I wish he did. Told me to just see what I could get for it online.

The leak is in the actual hard lines-both of them. Both were totally rusted with multiple holes. He told me the parts were so expensive because for that model of jeep, there isn't an aftermarket part. I called the dealership and another mechanic, both told me the same thing. oh well.............
KYJeepGirl1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I would think it wouldn't be too difficult or expensive to find what you need from a junkyard. At least 91-96 Cherokees if not more years than that (I'm not sure if anything relevant to the trans lines changed) would all be candidates. It could possibly be as broad as 87-01 since those were all 4.0+AW4 engine+trans years.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

for a temporary fix you could cut out the rotted spot that is leaking and use a section of reinforced rubber line/hose clamps . good idea to slightly flair the metal lines so help keep the line on better
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
OnTheFence

I think the junkyard advice should not be the default answer.
In reality, many areas of the country no longer have junkyards.

You can get new tranny cooler lines for like $20-$25 each on rockauto.com
I believe they are easy to remove and replace if you're a mechanic.
I would get another quote b/c replacing 3 metal lines seems very high for $500.
Parts should be more like $60, if you buy them yourself. 1 hour labor seems reasonable.
I'd price this job at $150-$200. Not $500.

3 hours? No way. I think he's a crook. Get a 2nd opinion.
I bet he's looking to buy your XJ cheap and sell it.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
bigbill888
1998 XJ Cherokee 

He wants to see your trans fry due to loss of fluid and then get you for $1500.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Pressure and return lines show up on Amazon and JCWhitney for $30 or less each (and IN STOCK).
There can't be more than a few clamps holding each line in place.
As much as I HATE doing repairs, this is a no brainer. Do it yourself.
If I brought the parts to MY mechanic, I doubt he'd charge me more than $90 to install them.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
OnTheFence

The issue is that you can't drive it around to get a 2nd opinion.
Just go to NAPA and ask them for all 3 tranny cooler lines.
Then call around and get quotes, b/c it's got to be a standard job.
Then tell the Jeep guy you shopped him around if he wants to do it for that price.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.