HELP! installing a CD player to 88' jeep xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > HELP! installing a CD player to 88' jeep xj

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
KNickels45

HELP! installing a CD player to 88' jeep xj

Ok so i finally got my cherokee like last saturday...today i tried installing an aftermarket CD player when i realized the wiring harness i bought didnt fit the factory harness. This was kind of familiar because my last XJ(which was sadly 2WD) was the same way, except it didnt have a factory harness to begin with. I remember my brother hard wiring the cd player harness into the factory wiring. Yet for some reason i cant figure it out, i can get power to the cd player it just wont shut off without removing the power wire from the battery....anyone have this kind of problem or know a way of fixing?

KNickels45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
cmotsvt

I guess you just need to hook up to a switched power source? Hook up the wire for the memory settings to the constant power.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
KNickels45

I just dont understand why it worked on my other jeep but not this one? same brand of cd player and everything... for some reason i think a fuse is blown because the ACC wire from the stock wires isnt pushing anything to the cdplayer i have to hook the ACC wire and BATTERY wire straight to the battery...
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Scrub
2012 KK Liberty 

Well if you are wiring it in yourself you can use The Cig Lighter Power wire for your switched Power and then find a constant to run the Memory wire too, I ran mine to the Fuse panel.

-Matt-

2012 Jeep KK Liberty Sport - Stock for now
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
KNickels45

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub2k
Well if you are wiring it in yourself you can use The Cig Lighter Power wire for your switched Power and then find a constant to run the Memory wire too, I ran mine to the Fuse panel.

-Matt-
Anyway u remember what colors the wires were from the factory system? MY factory radio has a small diagram on the back but its a little confusing.....
Unread 07-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
Scrub
2012 KK Liberty 

I Dont know what any of the Factory Stereo Wires would have looked like, The Previous Owner of my Jeep Just Ripped out all the Stereo wiring and left nothing i had to wire it all in myself.

Sorry i cant be much more help.

-Matt-

Unread 07-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
BrunoS

to my knoweldge, there is a factory harness for basic stereo in ALL xj models....hides down in the area of dash above heater controls.

anyhow, most stereo's have two "hot" wires....the RED is the memory power, and always is hot, and the YELLOW is the "power-on" power that provides the juice to the radio to make tunes.

as for speakers, they go like this:

(this is for 4-speaker setup, you'll see the code is color/color+white for any speaker leads to each speaker)

red/red+white
green/green+white
gray/gray+white
purple/purple+white

power antenna is the Blue wire, but you don't have a power antenna

black will always be negative ground.

Here's a BIG tip:

forget about the 6-disc, 10-disc CD changers, or any variation thereof. the HOT tip:

leave the factory am/fm, whatever ya got in there, and just get an iPOD with the cigarette lighter adapter/fm output kit. heres' why:

1) awesome sound capability, with Equalizer stuff, from your basic ipod
2) who needs to swap CD's out of the damm dash, have somone rip your radio out, when your ipod has over 1,000 songs. some monster units will hold 10,000 songs. best of all, just pop it out and take your tunes with you to the gym, mountain bike, etc....
3) if you have an iPOD, with this little mountkit, you will NEVER ever need to upgrade any factory radio or for that matter any piece of junk radio as long as the FM radio works!!
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
Scrub
2012 KK Liberty 

Well thats all well and good, but the problem with keeping a stock deck is the need to then run an AMP if you want any power at all to your speakers. Stock Decks just dont put out enough power to make it sound good.

Plus the fact that i like my CD's

-Matt-

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.