HELP!!! Ignition wont turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > HELP!!! Ignition wont turn

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
BlacknRedGT

HELP!!! Ignition wont turn

My g/f has a 2001 Cherokee Sport and her ignition wont turn either way. Tried moving the steering wheel to get it to go and now the steering wheel is locked and wont move at all. Made sure it was in Park and the normal crap. Her car has a weird light with a button at the bottom below the steering wheel underneath the dash for the alarm. Not sure if its aftermarket or what but the lock and unlock button has a jeep logo on so Im assuming its stock....

What do you guys think it is??

Anyway to bypass the alarm all together to make sure thats not it?? Like pull a fuse or just cut a wire??

What else could it be??

BlacknRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
BlacknRedGT

Bump...................
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
XposedGuts

i did this today from moving the wheel when the car was off(was working under the car and needed to move the wheels). Anyway just jurk the wheel and key at the same time
XposedGuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
BlacknRedGT

Doesnt work... I would have to break the column to get the wheel to move. Believe me... Tried that a million times already
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
XposedGuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRedGT
Doesnt work... I would have to break the column to get the wheel to move. Believe me... Tried that a million times already
dont start cutting wires or fuses trust me. man handle it u just need the right touch
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
BlacknRedGT

2 guys pulling on the steering wheel wasnt enough.... I have broke steering columns before and dont want to do that... The ignition key wasnt turning even when the wheel was free... I told my ex to move it around and try it. The wheel then locked up. Theres something else going on here.

Not just the wheel being locked. The key is not turning in the ignition either way,
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
XposedGuts

Quote:
2 guys pulling on the steering wheel wasnt enough.... I have broke steering columns before and dont want to do that... The ignition key wasnt turning even when the wheel was free... I told my ex to move it around and try it. The wheel then locked up. Theres something else going on here.

Not just the wheel being locked. The key is not turning in the ignition either way,
so the wheels not turning or the key in the ignition? cause thats exactly what the car does when the wheel is turned to much if the car is off. Happened to me today
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
BlacknRedGT

The wheel doesnt turn and the key in the ignition doesnt turn.... Tried moving both around at the same time and the car doesnt start. Car is in park etc etc. The key in the ignition wouldnt turn even prior to the wheel being locked. doesnt look like anything is wrong with the ignition so I was wondering if maybe it had something to do with the alarm.
Unread 03-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

You might try pushing the gear selector forward while trying the ignition switch at the same time.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
I told my ex to move it around and try it.
I can't even get my wife to help me work on her car. And here you have your ex working on your girlfriend's Jeep!!! That's impressive.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
BlacknRedGT

Ill try the gear selector thing... I tried moving around too but not holding it forward. ohh and the g/f is really my ex.. she likes to call when she needs things. I only work on porsche 944's so I dont know jack about jeeps.
Unread 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
BlacknRedGT

anyone else with a idea?? How do I bypass the alarm system to make sure thats not the cause.
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
mdjeep96

Sounds like an alarm system. I had a 95 mustang and when I first got it I didnt know how the alarm worked it was factory remote but aftermarket stuff. Look for a switch to press or press unlock 2-3 times with the remote till it chirps. Thats just my 2cents though good luck.
mdjeep96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
BlacknRedGT

Ya it doesnt sound like its factory but I guess it uses the factory buttons..... Ill try pressing that button a couple of times too
Unread 03-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
BlacknRedGT

hey, none of this stuff worked??? what else can i try??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.