Help with headlights!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 03-16-2017, 01:17 AM
ArmyStrongMD
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I'm going to be the crazy one and say do an HID retrofit in your new housings. After doing this on one vehicle I decided it was a must for all. The light output is just so much better especially if you use something natural like 4300k, not blue or purple looking. You also won't blind oncoming traffic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so i tried routing the harness again today. ran into some problems. the connectors are just too large to get through some of the passages. so i had to remove two and replace later.

anyway, i was able to mount the relays on the bay but i had to route it under the cruise control (which required removing the cruise control unit) and for anyone doing this- mount it low so the hood support can fit into the latch!

aside from all that, im getting over 11v now at the leads, which is a one volt improvement (as i was down 2). so, id say the harness improved the headlamps but not really a whole lot. aim is next.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrongMD View Post
Well I'm going to be the crazy one and say do an HID retrofit in your new housings. After doing this on one vehicle I decided it was a must for all. The light output is just so much better especially if you use something natural like 4300k, not blue or purple looking. You also won't blind oncoming traffic.
thanks- yes ive heard some cautionary tales but may look into this as a last alternative.

post #34 of 42 Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFoolery View Post
thanks- yes ive heard some cautionary tales but may look into this as a last alternative.
The cautionary tales come from people who buy standard halogen H4 housings, then buy HID bulbs with an H4 base and slap it together.

Taking those same standard H4 housings and doing a proper HID projector retrofit is a great mod - but generally far more expensive than what we have been talking about so far.

This retrofit kit is discussed here somewhat often: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...r-stage-3.html

- Justin

1992 Cherokee Laredo - mostly stock, DD. 300k miles and counting

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 42 Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks- taking a look now.
post #36 of 42 Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks- will take a look now.
post #37 of 42 Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've been extensively researching this topic for myself lately.

If you're broke get some Wagner sealed beam headlights and call it good. $20 will buy two of them. My cousin just did this and he has decent lights from it. He was too broke to do anything else.

If you have a little more money then get some AutoPal ECE (E-Code) headlamps and any good H4 bulbs. Philips XtremeVision +100 bulbs are the best stock wattage bulbs, IMO. They're also arguably the best bulbs regardless of wattage.

IME the PXV+100 is better than PXV+130 because the +100 has a better focused brighter high beam and the low and high beams have a better color for seeing on rainy nights. The RacingVision +150 doesn't last long enough and it's color isn't quite as good.

The PXV+100 come in 9003 red packages and H4 blue packages. Some sources say they're the same. Some sources say 9003 are better and others say H4 better. I don't know. What I do know is the H4 blue package have worked great for me.

If you have more money then get Cibie ECE housings instead of AutoPal. Cibie makes the best housings. I would still recommend PXV+100 H4 bulbs.

The PXV+100 bulbs will give you a nice boost in lighting with your stock wiring. They will give you an even better boost in lighting with a quality relay harness.

Not one of those cheap crummy Putco harnesses that come with poor relays. Get a good harness from DanielSternLighting.com or CandlePowerInc.com or elsewhere.

If you're not ready to deal with a relay harness yet, then just use your stock wiring with PXV+100 H4 bulbs and it'll be pretty darn good of an improvement.

I used those bulbs with stock wiring for years and they were good. Now I have a relay harness which is even better.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
post #38 of 42 Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 AM
cruiser54
1990 MJ Comanche 

I totally disagree on your opinion on anything other than a Daniel Stern harness.

Having installed about 10 or so Putco harnesses and ebay ceramic harnesses in mine and friends vehicles, I've yet to have a failure of any sort.

I feel most relay failure is caused by not mounting the relays in the proper orientation to prevent water getting in or not mounting them at all so they can flail around in the engine bay.

The other failure is the relays getting hot because they were never grounded properly.

Actually I would recommend to someone who is short on funds to buy a harness before bulbs. that way they're not gonna be replacing a switch that is a ***** to do and costs more than a harness. besides that, their lights won't be as bright.

There is a nice harness on ebay that I've used right here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...-/330997592807
Attached Thumbnails
Putco relays.jpg  

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

post #39 of 42 Old 03-23-2017, 01:45 PM
dented

Start looking at and you will see that you can do it. Lay the harness out so you see where it needs to reach.

My jeep needed only the head lamp out. Yours may need the side signal out also. Just get in front of it and you will see how it comes out. First is the outer covering then the bracket that holds the light itself. You don't need to touch the adjusting screws just the four corner screws and the spring. Be careful with the spring. It will go flying you need it. (and your eyes)

one wire to battery. From there you go to the passenger light. You one plug goes to old headlight plug the other to the head lamp. The ground goes to what ever screw you can find that is attached to the frame (there are plenty).

Then the harness needs to get to the other side. go behind the grill. For mine I looked through the grill itself and there were 4 screws up top and it lifts out of the bottom. plug in the other headlamp and find a screw for the ground.

The relays get screwed to the engine well wherever you see a spot. Mine went right next to the battery.

DONE!!
post #40 of 42 Old 03-23-2017, 02:19 PM
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
My response to Charley's post:

Don't waste your money on sealed beams.

ALWAYS do a relay harness FIRST. Always. Always.

Be careful with Charley's bulb information. I recently started him on the path to learning this stuff, and he's speaking with much greater authority than he deserves.

Putco isn't a quality brand, but their relay harness usually works well enough for the money. Even I have one.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #41 of 42 Old 03-24-2017, 05:34 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
I totally disagree on your opinion on anything other than a Daniel Stern harness.

I feel most relay failure is caused by not mounting the relays in the proper orientation to prevent water getting in or not mounting them at all so they can flail around in the engine bay.

The other failure is the relays getting hot because they were never grounded properly.
Good advice there. I'd better recheck mine.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
post #42 of 42 Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 AM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
My response to Charley's post:

Don't waste your money on sealed beams.
I said if a person is very broke and can't afford something more ideal. My cousin got Wagner sealed beams for $20 and their light is decent. Much better than he had previously. He is BROKE. It was all he could afford and it helps him significantly.

I'm not suggesting Wagner sealed beams are preferable. Just that they're cheap and a new sealed beam is better than an old one, and Wagner seems to make better ones than Sylvania and others.

In no way did I recommend a seal beam headlight, unless a person were broke and couldn't afford anything better. For my cousin it gets him by for now. He can upgrade to AutoPal housings and H4 bulbs in the future.

Quote:
ALWAYS do a relay harness FIRST. Always. Always.
Sure, if a person has the money and time to deal with that first. If they're broke and short of time, my cousin's Wagner sealed beam solution gets him by for now.

3.5 or 4 years ago I put Philips Xtreme-Vision +100 bulbs in my XJ with stock wiring and it was a huge lighting upgrade. Those bulbs are stock wattage and work fine with stock wiring. They work even better with a harness, which I added 3 years later.

Quote:
Be careful with Charley's bulb information. I recently started him on the path to learning this stuff, and he's speaking with much greater authority than he deserves.
Excuse me? I've patiently and tolerantly interacted with you for years, which is not always easy given your tendency towards self importance and a tendency to talk down to other people; but I ALWAYS turned the other cheek and ignored your faults with interpersonal communication and just looked at your good qualities. You have many good qualities. I don't always agree with all of your advice or opinions, but I agree with much of what you say. You have much good information and I appreciate the good, and I appreciate your good intentions (when you have them). However, on the negative side, this time you went to far disrespecting me like that.

I researched bulbs and housings extensively 3 years ago and I've tried most of the bulbs I mentioned. I've tried all the bulbs I recommend.

I recently got back into the lighting topic. I recently asked Mschi's for lighting advice partly because he's been researching these things more recently than I have, and partly because my heart medication has been making me groggy and hard to remember things I previously learned/knew, as I explained to Mschi in a PM. Also, I'm humble enough to ask for help and I don't mind praising another person for their knowledge and willingness to help, as I did with Mschi. However, I don't expect to be disrespected in return.

I'm not a newbie to lighting, even though I want to learn more. If you disagree with me, or my advice, you don't need to be overtly insulting or disrespectful about it.

Cruiser disagreed with me about some things and he was polite and respectful about it. Thanks Cruiser. People can disagree without being rude.[/quote]

Quote:
Putco isn't a quality brand, but their relay harness usually works well enough for the money. Even I have one.
Lots of people have them. I've read lots of complaints about their Chinese relays over the last 4 years, but there's also many people who are happy with them. So perhaps it's a reasonable value for the money? I guess that's for each person to decide and partly depends on available money.

Personally, if I'm buying a relay harness I'd rather have relays made in USA, Japan, or Germany (not China). A better harness like that (Stern for example) costs more. That's why for 3.5 or 4 years I ran Xtreme-Vision+100 bulbs with stock wiring (good lighting too). When I could afford a Stern relay harness I got one. I waited 3.5 or 4 years because my lighting was good. When my bulbs wore out and needed replacing, then I put in the Stern relay harness.

If you prefer to do the harness first, that's fine too. Whatever. The possible downside is a person might have to buy a lower quality harness if they must do the harness first. To each his own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.