Help with headlights!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 42 Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 AM
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

op the harness is very easy, basically plug and play. mount the relay somewhere then hook to battery. huge difference compared to sealed beams, plus you just swap out a bulb if it goes out, not have to replace the whole thing. alot more options for bulbs, color and wattages as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Agree with the above. Changing out headlight housings to a good H4 upgrade like Auto pal just needs a Phillips screwdriver, no special tools or anything. The harness itself just needs a very basic set of wrenches or sockets, you could likely even get it done with household pliers in a pinch. You unplug the factory wiring, hook the new stuff to the + battery terminal and just shove the new harness down and out of the way as you run it to the driver's and passenger side lights, then plug in three plugs and stick the grounds under some factory bolts. Then plug in the relays/fuses to complete the circuit. Takes less than an hour and it's a huge upgrade. It all runs off of the factory switch so there's no need for any crazy wiring or anything to control them.

Google "H4 relay harness", a variety of sellers will pop up on ebay with the same harness for $17-25. That's the one I use myself. I've had it for years and it's a quality product. Easier to find replacement relays for it than the PUTCO everyone likes, same wiring gauge, and no obnoxious bright yellow color

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 42 Old 02-02-2017, 05:27 AM
75SV1

I did the wiring harness a few months back. From memory: I took off the front black grill, I think you have to take off the black plastic headlight trim first. I took out the headlight units (AutoPals in my case). Also, have to unplug them from the harness. Plug the new harness into the passenger side headlight wiring socket. Run the wiring along the present wiring to the drivers side. Plug in the new wiring sockets to the headlight units. I wrapped electrical tape over the old socket to the driver's side. There are two grounds. One each side. I took out, one each side, screw to a reinforcing bracket and attached then there. Zip-Tie the new wiring harness to the old one for support. Route the wiring with the relays and Red+ wire into the engine bay on the battery side. You need to attach the Red+ to a +12V source. Either directly to the battery or to the junction of the 'fusible link' at the Power Distribution Center (PDC). I check the PDC might refer to it as the wire just in front of the fuse box. Then bolt the relays to a continent location. I chose the front panel of the engine bay just in front of the battery. I also removed the battery during the installation for easy access. That should be about it.
I also tucked up the old drivers side plug and the 'reused' passengers side plug up in the headlight buckets (not the steel ones) to keep them from flopping around. This was the $18 to $25 harness. Actually mine cost me $40 or so. That seller listed it for the XJ, others don't list theirs as such.

post #19 of 42 Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 PM
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think bluejunior(could be someone else, cant rememeber) recommended an eBay relay harness a few pages back, and I ran that. it was super easy to install. Also, not sure if you're willing to drop the dough, but I put in some truck-lites and the difference is unreal compared to the silverstars i was running.

EDIT just saw someone linked the harness. If there is a best offer, they accept $15 shipped.

99 XJ SE ARB rack, coils, leafs, bilstein 5100, JCR classic sliders, skidrow skids, 30/9.5r15 AT3
post #20 of 42 Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks everyone so much for the responses!!! i think youve instilled the confidence i needed... i will buy the putco harness this weekend and attempt an installation in the next month or so. hopefully i can then post pics soon. thanks!
post #21 of 42 Old 02-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFoolery View Post
i will buy the putco harness this weekend
Do yourself a favor and order this instead of the Putco: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330997592807?rmvSB=true

It's a little cheaper, and uses standard size relays, so it's much easier to find replacements if one gives out on you.

- Justin

1992 Cherokee Laredo - mostly stock, DD. 300k miles and counting

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 42 Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 AM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks everyone for the replies! i just posted in another thread (not sure if it belongs here) the question of whether the putco or the eBay harness is better (might be no answer).

after doing much more research, i decided to check in with dan stern for a harness. if he gets back to me, ill share what i find.

thanks again.
post #23 of 42 Old 02-05-2017, 09:46 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
thanks everyone for the replies! i just posted in another thread (not sure if it belongs here) the question of whether the putco or the eBay harness is better (might be no answer).

after doing much more research, i decided to check in with dan stern for a harness. if he gets back to me, ill share what i find.

thanks again.
I've had both, the eBay is better. The relays are a standard type that is easy to find, the eBay relays that came with it have FAR outlasted the lifetime I saw with the original Putco relays, wiring is the same gauge with a less obnoxious rub guard and the connectors are holding into the molding better. I dumped the Putco after multiple relays failed and the connectors went soft and lost all ability to make good contact.

post #24 of 42 Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks! in the meantime, ive checked in with stern. he came back right away with an impressive trove of information (that im still working through). so if that option doesnt work, ill go with the eBay harness.

im more confident now that i can install it, based on this video (cant post link): (youtube) Headlight Harness Install by ksuspension
post #25 of 42 Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Beemer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks to this thread, I just completed the harness/H4 conversion today. I ended up making my own harness with 12g wire and Bosch relays. I bought a few bits online and sourced other parts locally. I made plugs for my relays so I can disconnect them with one pull rather than having to keep up with which wire goes to which terminal. My power is connected to the fuse box terminal and the relay grounds share the ground bolt with the battery wire at the body. The lights are Hella e code from Quadratec, excellent service from them, by the way. I used Daniel Sterns tech info to aim the lights. It's a fantastic improvement over stock.
post #26 of 42 Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 AM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

does anyone know- on any of these harnesses (particularly putco) are the connectors removable?

i keep reading that its rather tight to get them behind the bonnet and through the radiator to the driver side. there isnt much room there between rigid hoses. any thoughts on how you guys did this?
post #27 of 42 Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
does anyone know- on any of these harnesses (particularly putco) are the connectors removable?

i keep reading that its rather tight to get them behind the bonnet and through the radiator to the driver side. there isnt much room there between rigid hoses. any thoughts on how you guys did this?
It's just a lot of poking your fingers around structure trying to feed the wire through. removing the connectors wouldn't be overly helpful.

Easiesy way to do it: Pop off your header panel (it really doesn't take long) and zip tie your new harness across the exact same channel the factory wiring uses for the lights on the inside and bottom of it. Mount it back up and you're good to go. That's how I did my eBay one (which I do recommend over the putco). It's also easier to snake the connectors into the right place with the headlight bezels out of the way. bigger spaces.

When I snaked and fed my putco through the front end without taking anything off it took WAY longer. Just skip the pain. Torx bit (25 I think it was?), #2 phillips screwdriver and a pretty common metric socket...13mm I want to say.

post #28 of 42 Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You guys are making this WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too complicated.

I've installed close to 10 of these. I do it in under 45 minutes.

Just remove the headlight doors and grille.

Start feeding the harness from the passenger side toward the driver side.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #29 of 42 Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
You guys are making this WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too complicated.

I've installed close to 10 of these. I do it in under 45 minutes.

Just remove the headlight doors and grille.

Start feeding the harness from the passenger side toward the driver side.
How is removing the header panel complicated? It's like 5 torx, 4 phillips and a couple nuts, all easy to reach low torque enough to do with a power drill. It takes 5 minutes or less.

I just take the whole thing instead of the grill because I have a bad habit of breaking the little clip/press in thingies whenever I mess with them.

post #30 of 42 Old 03-15-2017, 12:58 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
It's just a lot of poking your fingers around structure trying to feed the wire through. removing the connectors wouldn't be overly helpful.

Easiesy way to do it: Pop off your header panel (it really doesn't take long) and zip tie your new harness across the exact same channel the factory wiring uses for the lights on the inside and bottom of it. Mount it back up and you're good to go. That's how I did my eBay one (which I do recommend over the putco). It's also easier to snake the connectors into the right place with the headlight bezels out of the way. bigger spaces.

When I snaked and fed my putco through the front end without taking anything off it took WAY longer. Just skip the pain. Torx bit (25 I think it was?), #2 phillips screwdriver and a pretty common metric socket...13mm I want to say.
thank you BlueJunior! very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.