Help with headlights!!! - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 09-11-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
99CherokeeS
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Help with headlights!!!

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport and the sealed beam headlights are still on it. I am thinking about switching them out. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-12-2016, 07:35 AM
art247

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99CherokeeS View Post
I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport and the sealed beam headlights are still on it. I am thinking about switching them out. Suggestions?
I have got a 2000 xj jeep cherokee with the same issue hopefully someone will tead this post

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 42 Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use E-code halogen 100% glass housings and white H-4 bulbs. Anything car show cool or Ricer style will be Chinese garbage. You should also upgrade the headlight wire harness for maximum performance.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 42 Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 AM
75SV1

I have AutoPals. Good Quality, Low price. I used there bulbs that came with them. About twice as bright as the sealed beams. I have not done the wiring harness. Plan to. Also, haven't upgraded to 'better' bulbs. My experience with the 'better' bulbs, is they will burn out quicker. So keep an extra set or regular set with you. This was on an '81 MB 240D. I do have the Autopals on my XJ. The MB has a Cibie and a Hella, but used. I did have on new Sealed Beam on the XJ to compore to.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-12-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
99CherokeeS
1999 XJ Cherokee 

@CJ7-Tim Is it difficult to switch from sealed beams to the halogens? Is it something I could do myself?
post #6 of 42 Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
@CJ7-Tim Is it difficult to switch from sealed beams to the halogens? Is it something I could do myself?
simple.

DO NOT do this without upgrading your harness!!!

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/hd-...rite-up-11306/

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep Technical Photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 AM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Best mod on an XJ IMHO is to do the headlight relay upgrade. Adds about 1 Volt at the lights which is A LOT in terms of light.

The dipped beams will be so much better, clearer cutoffs.

The high beams you could install some driving lights, they will throw light much further forwards in a narrower beam than the headlights,
XJFoxxx likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 42 Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 AM
Berti
1996 ZJ 

I'm using E code Depo 100-1120N-LD-E clear headlights, with Pegasus HOD H4 bulb. Super bright and white, would recommend this combination for everyone. Relay upgrade also done.
post #9 of 42 Old 09-13-2016, 07:11 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Best mod on an XJ IMHO is to do the headlight relay upgrade. Adds about 1 Volt at the lights which is A LOT in terms of light.

The dipped beams will be so much better, clearer cutoffs.

The high beams you could install some driving lights, they will throw light much further forwards in a narrower beam than the headlights,
You know, on one of the many Jeep forums I frequent, there was a guy who tested stock headlights with a lumen meter before and after the harness ONLY.

35% improvement in output after the harness.

My Jeep Technical Photos

post #10 of 42 Old 09-14-2016, 10:50 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This makes it pretty clear: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm It basically follows the same format as building a fog lamp wiring harness but with two relays, one for low beam & one for high. Heavier wire plus relays will make all of the difference. This fuse block will reduce the number of splices by eliminating the inline fuses.
https://www.delcity.net/store/ATC-&-...2.h_811763.t_1
Cibie lamps are recommended & 65/75 watt bulbs. Will consider going up to 65/100 watt bulbs. The new wiring harness will handle it.
post #11 of 42 Old 09-15-2016, 11:02 AM
xjshellback

I have the LED ones and they are much better. have the 100 watt ones in my garage if anyone wants them.

08 WK 2in lift 265/70/17 3.7L
post #12 of 42 Old 09-15-2016, 04:41 PM
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Ahem. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/headlights-2891137/

PLEEEEASE read it. I put so much work into it, and you'll learn so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
You know, on one of the many Jeep forums I frequent, there was a guy who tested stock headlights with a lumen meter before and after the harness ONLY.

35% improvement in output after the harness.
From my writeup linked above that not enough people read. Not implying that you didn't, Cruiser, cuz I know you did. Like your stuff, just not enough people find it and read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
...... A 10% drop in voltage (a little more than 1 volt) reduces headlight output to 2/3 of its maximum potential! ......

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #13 of 42 Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 AM
bryanintowson
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Installed this harness:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Headlight...lXehfq&vxp=mtr

along with a set of Hella H4 housings and bulbs. Very pleased with the results. Just make sure when you are doing the install to route everything well and to make sure that you have a good ground otherwise you will get one dim side and one bright one. I ended up grounding to the radiator mount which required some light sanding.

1992 Cherokee Laredo - Current
2002 Wrangler Sport - SOLD
post #14 of 42 Old 01-31-2017, 06:52 PM
TomFoolery
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey everyone. i spent a lot of time reading around and have read these threads many times (thanks for posting those instructions!).

i have weak headlights that are dim on my 98 xj sport.

i sprayed contact cleaner on the leads and brushed everything. i also restored the halogen lamps to make sure they are clean.

i tried aiming but i have to try that again.

i understand you cannot just put stronger lamps in because that might burn out.

i checked how much voltage im losing at the leads. 2.5 volts, which brings me over the 10% figure quoted above.

i know the stock wiring is crap and i have to upgrade harnesses and all that. it just seems like its out of reach for someone with my auto repair skills.

if i bought the right harness- anyone have an idea what the labor is for a mechanic to rewire? im expecting a # that makes me want to do it myself.
post #15 of 42 Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFoolery View Post
hey everyone. i spent a lot of time reading around and have read these threads many times (thanks for posting those instructions!).

i have weak headlights that are dim on my 98 xj sport.

i sprayed contact cleaner on the leads and brushed everything. i also restored the halogen lamps to make sure they are clean.

i tried aiming but i have to try that again.

i understand you cannot just put stronger lamps in because that might burn out.

i checked how much voltage im losing at the leads. 2.5 volts, which brings me over the 10% figure quoted above.

i know the stock wiring is crap and i have to upgrade harnesses and all that. it just seems like its out of reach for someone with my auto repair skills.

if i bought the right harness- anyone have an idea what the labor is for a mechanic to rewire? im expecting a # that makes me want to do it myself.
Super easy. Do it yourself.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.