Help! Frustrated - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help! Frustrated

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
mollybee14
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Help! Frustrated

I took my jeep to work (I drive a bus) and the mechanics there said they would find out if my temp light worked or not. They took the dash off,and replaced the coolant temp sensor and now my jeep is F!?#?! up. Now the coolant fan is never off, from the moment I start my jeep it stays on, it floods when I start her, I can go down the 25 mph roads here without even pushing the accelerator. He says the sensor has nothing to do with the fan staying on and some other side of the road mechanic I pulled into says the trouble with it starting like it is flooded is not related the them replacing the sensor and the fan staying on. They talk to me like a dumb blonde. Please post something I can put in front of their face to show them it is a sensor that can affect alot of things and bypassing the wires to make fan stay on can cause this. Am I losing my mind because I am seeing sites that tell me differently. Thanks for any help.

mollybee14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

If they replaced the sensor in the thermostat housing, they replaced the wrong sensor...it doesn't have anything to do with the light/gauge...and likely left it unplugged and/or with a poor connection. The sender for the dummy light is in the back of the head. The one in the t-stat housing is for the ECU. If that one is unplugged, the fan will run anytime the ignition is ON.

Another possibillty is that they uses the wrong sensor altogether. Then, if the ECU doesn't "see" the sensor, it will also turn the fan on constantly and the air/fuel mixture (based on the reading from the blind sensor) will be messed up. That's my take on it...I could be wrong. Don't throw this in the mechanics face, I'm not a mechanic. I'd just check it myself

Also a 96 Cherokee is NOT an FSJ.
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
mollybee14
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you much!! I meant to check XJ....my bad
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
mollybee14
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The sensor in the t-stat housing was replaced and it is in there tight and I am assuming it is the right one- from car quest- and visually it looks like the right one. So could this be happening because of something in the dash they switched when testing the dummy light? Thanks for your info.

Lisa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.