Help with Engine knock noise at shutdown - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help with Engine knock noise at shutdown

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
2fastjeep
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Help with Engine knock noise at shutdown

Hi guys new to the forum and just getting back into the jeep world. I picked up a 92 Cherokee 6cyl auto with around 170k on her. Now after daily driving it for a few months I have noticed a new noise development. Randomly at engine shutdown I can hear a clear pronounced single knock right as the motor seems to stop rotation. The strange thing is that it happens about once in 10 shutdowns. I have decided all the usual tune up stuff since I got her. Searched Google for anyone with similar posts but could not find anything close to my symptoms. Any ideas would be a help.

Thanks Eric.

2fastjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
SLOWPOKETAIL

My old zj did this, I wasn't 100% but I think it was the metal collapsing because it expands when hot
SLOWPOKETAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure its not loose and rattling transfer case lever. Could be mistaken with engine noise.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Ever inspected your engine and trans mounts?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
2fastjeep
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The kid I bought it from said that he had replaced them. I remember noticing that the trans mount looked new when I was doing some tcase work on her but I will take a closer look at the engine mounts next time I'm in their.
2fastjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.