HELP!!! Coolant boiling in "puke" tank! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > HELP!!! Coolant boiling in "puke" tank!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Taylorwoodham
1984 XJ Cherokee 

HELP!!! Coolant boiling in "puke" tank!

So I've got a weird cooling problem that I can't figure out. I have a 1984 Cherokee and the coolant is boiling in the resovuir tank after a good drive. It's not the thermostat as it has been taken out on the problem persists. My water pump seems to be operational as my coolant has a flow to it. Coolant is at the correct levels. I'm scratching my head on this one and would greatly appreciate any input you guys might have. Thanks in advance for the help.

Taylorwoodham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

You need a new cap. Check your bottle for cracks. Burp the system of air.
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
JRT
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
You need a new cap. Check your bottle for cracks. Burp the system of air.
2nded - I had a similar problem on my 1988 about 2 years ago, and it was a crack in the overflow tank.

That said - I had never seen a "closed" system like this before this car, had never even heard of one, and after much fighting and burping and hose checking and fitting and refitting, I replaced the whole mess. IMHO, that system is a piece of kit best left in the scrapheap. Especially in La, you're probably gonna wanna make a change sooner or later. I hear it gets hot there.

I ended up switching from the pressurized ("closed") burp tank to a recovery / overflow tank and "modern" "open" system using the directions on this site:
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/cooling.htm

(I put open and closed in quotes b/c to my mind, they're backwards as commonly used - but apparently thats how the community understands them. The pre-92 system where the overflow tank has no recovery method and has a pressure cap is "closed" - this is what you describe and what scared the bejebus out of me when I saw it boiling in my XJ. The newer system as found on most other cars in existence ever, where the overflow tank is not pressurized (eg cant boil) and serves as a recovery resevoir, is "open".)

Worked like a champ, and he was right on the money for cost/time/effort even though the page is a bit dated. Cost about $250 and took all day Saturday and half a day Sunday for me and my GF, so not exactly Michael Schumacher's pitcrew.

Last edited by JRT; 08-10-2011 at 12:51 PM..
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

If it's an 84 like in the OP's signature, it had a conventional open cooling system with an overflow tank.....
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Agree with those guys, more likely a bad rad cap. The cap probably doesn't hold the pressure required to lower the coolant's boiling point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
I had never seen a "closed" system like this before this car
It's not a car it's a JEEP.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
Agree with those guys, more likely a bad rad cap. The cap probably doesn't hold the pressure required to lower the coolant's boiling point.

Yep to both statements.
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I thought the cap held pressure to increase the coolant's boiling point, no?
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Well, maybe not.

When mine boiled like that it was a bad radiator. Even a new radiator cap didn't solve the problem.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
I thought the cap held pressure to increase the coolant's boiling point, no?
Right increase it, prevent it from boiling. Got it mixed up.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I knew u did.....just funnin' ya.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Right increase it, prevent it from boiling. Got it mixed up.
I understood what you meant, too.

Anyway, the OP could have the radiator pressure tested, have the cap pressure tested etc. But, I'd try the cap for $5 first............
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post

Anyway, the OP could have the radiator pressure tested, have the cap pressure tested etc. But, I'd try the cap for $5 first............
Some parts stores have pressure testers in their loaner inventory. Put 15 psi in the system and the leaks will reveal themselves promptly. Checks caps as well.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Some parts stores have pressure testers in their loaner inventory. Put 15 psi in the system and the leaks will reveal themselves promptly. Checks caps as well.
That would certainly narrow down the problem.

But, since he mentions no leak other than the recovery bottle catching coolant, I would suspect the cap. That, and they're cheap and certainly don't last forever and are frequently neglected when it comes to maintenance.

It it were me or you, we would most likely go out to the garage and test it with our own pressure tester.
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
BBJeep
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorwoodham View Post
So I've got a weird cooling problem that I can't figure out. I have a 1984 Cherokee and the coolant is boiling in the resovuir tank after a good drive. It's not the thermostat as it has been taken out on the problem persists. My water pump seems to be operational as my coolant has a flow to it. Coolant is at the correct levels. I'm scratching my head on this one and would greatly appreciate any input you guys might have. Thanks in advance for the help.
Dude put your thermostat back in WTF?
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Taylorwoodham
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the replies

Alright finally got a day off work so it's time to knock this baby out. Thanks for all the replies. It is an 84 as some of y'all were wondering and there is a new development in the case! There is a BIG hole in the resovuir tank now so that will have to be replaced but anyway, off to snag a radiator cap (preferably with a higher threshold, I believe mine is 14 lbs right now). Thanks again for all the help and I'll let y'all know how it goes
Taylorwoodham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boiling , coolant , overheating , thermostat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.