Help! Brakes gone...pedal goes to floor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help! Brakes gone...pedal goes to floor

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
bczolone

Help! Brakes gone...pedal goes to floor

My dad has an 87 that has 215k+ miles...I know I've told him to send it to the scrap heap, but anyways...as the title says the brake pedal started going to the floor and thus- no brakes.

I have been all over the net and he has talked to everyone we know...we are out of ideas. Of course everyone says "master cylinder"...well we just did number 5 today.

Here's what's been done :

New shoes and wheel cylinders
New pads and calipers (bleeder on top-checked them before replacing)
New flexible brakes lines all the way around.
New Booster
5 Master cylinders...

Only thing we think is left is the proportion valve or the hard lines...but I can't image that has anything to do with it...like I said the pedal goes to the floor, but there's no fluid loss.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

bczolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
brand0nlp
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i know on some cars/trucks you have to bleed the master cylinder before you install it, if you dont the air wont come out of the lines thus the feeling of havin no brakes. i dont know how the jeeps are done never had to do a master cyl on a jeep but i have on a few other vehicles that required it be bleed before install
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
bczolone

Yeah we bled the master. Bench bled then again when we bled the brakes...argh 5 times!

I'm ready to sell it for scrap!...lol, bad thing is it runs like a top and is really in great shape...until now.
bczolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Jeep_siihb
1996 XJ Cherokee 

if it runs like a top then it doesnt deserve to go to a scrap yard. your gonna get those brakes fixed for a lot cheaper than another jeep/car.

If you can take it to a brake shop they can typically give you a quote at what it is that needs to be fixed. get the whole bs list that they will give you and take it home and narrow down your problems
Jeep_siihb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
RedWind
1994 YJ Wrangler 

is the fluid levels in check to make sure there is no hole in the line some where and just check them over to be sure
RedWind is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.