help!! AC issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > help!! AC issues

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

help!! AC issues

So my wife and i are currently on a trip, landed I'm fort Smith AR and on the way here i noticed that any time the car is accelerating or cruising the blower cuts out. Going down hill or slowing down it came back on. Now it's only blowing out of the windshield vents. Any thoughts on this?

Also I converted the system to r134 and the first 10 hours of the trip, and the well before, it worked fine. The second day i put two cans in and it lasted about an hour. A dye was put in it and i can see any leaks. My wife is pregnant and need to get this fixed for the drive back. All help is appreciated.

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So 3 issues? Blower doesn't work, when it does, only blows from defroster and it's low on freon?

For the only out the defroster part, i'd say vacuum leak. Blower motor issue, maybe the resistor or a melted plug. Is it loosing freon or did you just add some 'cause you thought it needed some?
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I added some because the hose that its usually cold when its working was extremely hot and the compressor was on. So I would say it is losing Freon but I can't see any of the dye that was put in it anywhere so I have no idea if it is losing it or not.

for the defroster, would that vacuum leak be inside the dash?

where is the blower motor located?

any pictures would be helpful.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

well the defroster issue is fixed. started digging into the vacuum lines and found holes in the two lines that come out of the firewall and a few holes in the lines going down to the canister in the bumper. so we pulled the canister and all the lines. found all the holes and cut them out. used what was left and relocated the canister where the bracket for the old coolant overflow tank was (previous owner converted the system and put in an iced tea bottle.. lol it works). ran some new hose where it needed to be replaced and then started the car... and the vents work. can change between all levels now.

I had parts of the dash taken apart so I didn't take it for a drive yet to see if the blower still cuts out. Didn't put it back together yet in case I still need to get in there and we had to go visit some of my wife's friends.

Still need to figure out where the refrigerant is leaking from the A/C system as well.

New questions:
Is there anywhere inside the dash that it could be leaking? Can I pull the bottom off of the black box in the dash or do I have to rip the hole dash out to get into it?
Does anyone have a picture of the blower motor and the wires and the relay for it?

Thanks in advance!
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So took the rest of the dash apart today, replaced the resistor, modified and reattached a vent hose.

Couldn't find a relay for the blower motor behind the dash like I've read. Where is it located?

The blower still cuts out while accelerating.
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The blower motor is probably not cutting out. One of the "mode" doors that controls where the air flows inside the heater box is probably closing due to lack of vacuum to hold it open, and thus blocking the air.

Just continuing to add R134a without measuring the amount in the system is a good way to hydrolock a compressor. If you don't know where the leak is, and it's not showing up with dye, its probably in the evaporator in the heater box. That is the one place you cannot see when everything is assembled. A "sniffer" type leak detector can usually find those leaks.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
The blower motor is probably not cutting out. One of the "mode" doors that controls where the air flows inside the heater box is probably closing due to lack of vacuum to hold it open, and thus blocking the air.

Just continuing to add R134a without measuring the amount in the system is a good way to hydrolock a compressor. If you don't know where the leak is, and it's not showing up with dye, its probably in the evaporator in the heater box. That is the one place you cannot see when everything is assembled. A "sniffer" type leak detector can usually find those leaks.
duplicate
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have or know of any threads with pics our diagrams of the vacuum lines and mode doors. This is my first time messing with this stuff. Any easy ways of finding where the leak is? I'm guessing it would be inside the cab since i fixed the ones in the engine compartment?

This is for an 89 if that makes a difference.

Thanks again
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

And I'm asking about the vacuum leaks. I'll try the sniffer type detector for the AC
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
XJays

Did you find out why the blower cuts out?
I read this post last night, (I've been reading everything, I just got a Cherokee) Today i turned on the fan (HIGH) (No A/C), and stabbed the gas... The fan shut off for like 5sec. I tried it many times, all the same. If i turn the fan down it won't do it. I really hadn't run the fan on high before because it is loud.
....Ideas???
XJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Still looking into it. I'm out of state on vacation and i don't want to tear the dash out more than i already did. When i get home and find the time I'm going to pull it out and search for the vacuum that controls the air doors and see if there is a leak.

I bought a UV light today in hopes of finding the leak in the AC tonight. Already had dye put in.

I would recommend relocating your vacuum canister to shorten the lines. I did that, fixing hose leaks on the way, to reduce the risk of new holes forming. Pretty sure i got them all in the engine bay.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Found the leak, its the condenser. There was a pool of dye under it on the drivers side. Could even see some on top of the sway bar. Guess i know what's next...
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If that's your only leak, your getting off easy.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
If that's your only leak, your getting off easy.
We searched for a while with the light and that was all we could see. Will check inside the box under the dash when i look for the vacuum tubed. The compressor, dryer, and lines were all free of dye.
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a good sign. Hope it holds up for you.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.