Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help! 99 Jeep Cherokee needs work!

774 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  tmangino7 
#1 ·
OK, so i know very little about cars, i must admit.. but i have had my endeared 99 Cherokee Sport (175k miles) for 7 years and it has taken me everywhere i want to go, and maybe i have been rough on it and neglected it a bit...
Unfortunately i brought it in for a 'noise' check (front area grinding when turning left on occasion, and clicking, (which was the transfer case)) and came out with a list of issues and a quote at over 3 grand in parts and labor!

I am looking for any advice on what to do.. repair it, and if so, what is most urgent, what can wait? ... or sell it cheap.. and if i were to sell it as is, how much is a fair price to ask for it.. It would be perfect for a mechanic to fix up.

Here we go:
-Lf axle u-joint bad, needs shaft
-transfer case literally busted open, need new
-leaking radiator
-leaking trans. lines
-leaking valve cover gasket
-shocks almost dry
-steering gear loose? , need new?

Other small things: driver door a bit sagging, AC is shut off, driver mirror taped on. Small rust spots, otherwise body in pretty good shape.

ANY help VERY appreciated!
thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would just look into buying another rig at that point. Keep this one for parts or part it out.

Reason I say this is because it sounds as if its poorly maintained and/or been through hell and back and its finally on its last limb before the list of things needs attending to.

#8 ·
I'd have to disagree. Everything besides the T-case sounds like normal wear items on a 175K mile vehicle.

To the OP: How is the body of the jeep and what kinda shape is it in? What does it mean to you? What is the budget for fixing the jeep vs. a newer vehicle?

Are you going to the dealership for these issues? If so, thats the problem. They will charge an arm and a leg for anything more than changing the oil.

The shocks and stuff you can get done at Midas or another shop like that. Much cheaper. The valve cover gasket you can do yourself its very easy. The U-joints might be tougher to do yourself, and so would installing a T-case. My advice would be to go to a junkyard or find a used T-case. My bet would be the shop is charging you for a new one. All of the above you could do yourself if you have the want to do it. This forum is very helpful and there are threads that can guide you through step by step.

If you want to replace stuff over a period of time, T-case must come first since it is damaged. The other stuff can leak and make noise but isn't a huge safety issue or prevent it from being driveable.

#3 ·
If you can do these repairs yourself or with the help of a knowedgable friend, go that route.

You should get another opinion from another shop, but generally speaking, it probably doesn't make economic sense to pay $3k in repairs to your '99, which would likely fetch less than the cost of the repairs for total resale value.

#5 ·
Sounds to me like some work that maybe could have been done earlier was neglected thus the state of repair it is in.Transfer case busted open-i would like to see pics of that.You should possibly get to another shop and see what they say.

#6 ·
The OP's looking at about $1K at a DIY level. That would be worth it, but that assumes the ability / facilities to do the work. The problem with tossing the keys and $3K to the local shop is that they WILL find more wrong with the car before they're done (legitimately - and of course, some shops will find more work illegitimately).

None of the work is all that hard, so my vote would be for the OP to source some used / discount parts and DIY. There are plenty of online resources to walk any newbie through any of those jobs. Plus, the XJ is one of the easiest vehicles to work on going (especially if it's lifted so you don't even have to jack it up to work underneath it - I can't even see under my other two cars unless I press my cheek to the ground).

Selling it would be the next obvious choice - though with a laundry list of problems like this XJ has, the selling price won't be very high. But then the dilemma becomes finding another used XJ (this is the only choice!) that's been very well maintained. That could be a relative bargain - for example, my '96 has 182,000 miles but I'd start out on a road trip to Chile and back with it this morning because I've done lots of maintenance and kept it in "nearly new" condition - but if I had to sell it I probably wouldn't get $3K out of it (which would be a spectacular deal for some lucky stiff).

#10 ·
Well if the OP had to take a vehicle into a shop to get simple problems diagnosed, I highly doubt they have the tech. skills to replace a Tcase, fix front axle, etc.

If it were me, I'd fix it, but I have the skillset and willpower to do so. If the OP is unable to do so, I would look into getting another vehicle and selling scrapping this one.

#11 ·
I doubt all these problems came up in one day. Most likely some of them have existed for a while and are just getting to the point of HAVING to be addressed now. A mechanically inclined person with some decent shopping skills could repair all of this for 500 to 600 dollars with used parts.

#12 ·
Well this was my point exactly. It didn't all happen in one day, though it was put off until the rig wouldn't move. When it was quoted, then it was brought up.

Like said, if it was someone mechanically inclined it wouldn't be an issue, though the OP doesn't sound to have the experience or tools by the problems existing for so long.

I'm not trying to be rude, just stating he/she is best off selling or parting it out instead of paying $3000+.

#13 ·
Some of it dosent even need to be done right away.

I would first replace the Transfer Case with a Junkyard one or craigslist. Do not pay more then 150$
Then i would do both the front ujoints.

I wouldn't do either of these on your own without access to a air gun.

Leaking radiator could be fixed temporarily. Or if its not overheating, could be held off for a few weeks. Replacements are about 100-170$. Should be able to easily do yourself.

Trans lines should be easy and cheap to fix yourself.

Everything else should be able to wait a little while, Valve cover gasket, again cheap and easy to do yourself.
If the steering feels fine to you then you should be ok for a while. Shocks are up to you and should be the last things to buy.

You may need some specialty tools for certain things, although most can be rented for a small fee.
This could be done cheap easily under 1000$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.