Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

HELP! 91 Cherokee Ltd stuck big time!

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  bucketheadd 
#1 ·
I thought I'd do my son a favor & service his battery- apparently I activated the factory alarm and cannot start the car again. It is parked in a really bad spot, and needs to move yesterday.

1)Ignition switch is securely locked, will only move to accessory position 2) keyless entry has a pretty red light but seemingly no other function
3) every time I open the hood, close the drivers door, etc. the horn sounds (where is the blasted fuse?)
4) 3 Jeep dealers have suggested locking then unlocking each of the doors to disarm the system, this does not work

I need a hero, any advice is honestly appreciated.

Yes, I've used each of two available keys at separate times to no avail. The ignition switch is locked, won't allow me to turn clockwise- only counterclockwise to accessory.The "Security" light in the drivers display blinks repeatedly. The remote device cycles the locks but doesn't affect the locked up ignition, and all the windows were left down- I live in SEATTLE! I'm not sure how long my Irish luck will hold out weatherwise.

#2 ·
I dont know much about alarms but I know that on my chevy work truck there is a "valet" switch under the dash. It is a little button or toggle switch. Try putting the key in the ignition and turning it on and then push the button. It works to de-activate the alarm in my work truck. Good luck!!

By the way welcome to the forum! Stick around for awhile! Everyone here has a TON of Jeep knowlege and we can answer just about any questions that you have. Chances are someone here has had the same problem at one point or another.

#3 ·
your factory alarm is the same as the one i have turn the key to the on postion and flip the switch (should be on right side under dash) on off on off on off and the alarm should go off. now it will be in valet mode and wont be activated again till you use the key chain thing or reactivate it with the swtich

#5 ·
it should be a little silver switch, it could be tucked up underneith it. look around it should be there somewhere....trying pushign the lever down that you have to push to get the key out that might help other then that idk sorry

#6 ·
You could also disconnect the factory alarm temporarily in order to move it somewhere else.

It's a pain to reach but it can be done. The alarm brainbox is way up by the steering column and a little to the right of it. Best way to get to it that I've found is to lay on your back with your head by the pedals, rest a flashlight on a pedal so you can see, then reach up to it. The trick to unplugging the plug is that the clip is on top of the plug.

#7 ·
DMacabre said:
You could also disconnect the factory alarm temporarily in order to move it somewhere else.

It's a pain to reach but it can be done. The alarm brainbox is way up by the steering column and a little to the right of it. Best way to get to it that I've found is to lay on your back with your head by the pedals, rest a flashlight on a pedal so you can see, then reach up to it. The trick to unplugging the plug is that the clip is on top of the plug.
Thanks again for the advice, sorry it won't help. As I understand it, this is an OEM installed security system, not an aftermarket one. I have scrutinized all the area under the dash, both driver and passenger sides, and for the life of me can't find any sort of toggle switch or button.

After I had a new ($200) ignition switch installed, it still won't budge past the "lock" position, so the sysmptoms are now 1. cannot depress the AT gearshift button (locked in PARK) 2. steering wheel turns freely both directions (will not lock) 3. when key is inserted in ignition the "security" display light flashes continually. I am now at my wits end.

#8 ·
Never seen this on a Jeep but I have seen it on other vehicles. Try this. I presume it has power locks.

1) Lock the doors using the power locks
2) Unlock the drivers door by hand and get out
3) using the key lock the drivers side door
4) take key out of lock
5) using the key again unlock the drivers door
6) get in and try and start it up.

Like I said, never seen it on a jeep but I have seen this sort of security system lock out on cars as early as 92 and this is the way you unlock it. Good luck!

#12 · (Edited)
Sometimes if the steerring wheel is turned weird (or a wheel is up against a curb) it can jam the steering lock. Just reef on the steering wheel back and forth and see if it allows the key to go past lock. My 0.02..........

#13 ·
Vegard said:
Are you sure its your jeep?
Truth be told, it's not exactly MY Jeep. I bought a 95 Cherokee for my oldest son as his first car, and he had such good luck with it I decided to get one for my youngest son. I will try the back hatch trick, and if necessary disable the alarm module. Will report back with findings. Thanks, DMacabre.

#14 ·
scandisk54 said:
Truth be told, it's not exactly MY Jeep. I bought a 95 Cherokee for my oldest son as his first car, and he had such good luck with it I decided to get one for my youngest son. I will try the back hatch trick, and if necessary disable the alarm module. Will report back with findings. Thanks, DMacabre.
No dice. I tried both the tailgate and (finally) removing the connector to the security module. It would have been a whole lot easier if I were a snake. Any other ideas are welcomed and encouraged. Thanks.

#17 ·
dont know if you figured it out, but I have a 91 limited, and i lost my keyless entry thing, and everytime i unlock my doors with the key my alarm goes off, my symptoms are a lil different though, like i can try to start the car but it won't start it kills itself, however to dissengage it, i always have to go to the rear tailgate and unlock it with the key, you might want to try that

#19 ·
just under your dash on the drivers side but to the right there is a platform with i think 3 or 4 of the 1"x1" relays. I just had a new aftermarket alarm installed and to disarm my factory alarm they just pulled one of those. sorry i cant remember wich one. i think it was the first on closest to the firewall. Ive never heard of an alarm that acctually locks the steering colum though. maybe you have more than one problem here. I think you should disconnect the battery and then see if it at least unlocks the lock cylender in the colum so you could turn the key. If that doesnt work, you said you replaced the ignition switch already, so ide replace the lock cylinder also. thats where the key goes in the colum. its pretty cheap and easy.

#20 ·
I had hella problems with the factory alarm in my '95 XJ. I had to hike several miles on 2 occassions because of it. Mine was a 5 speed, and I never remember it locking the key cylinder, it just disabled the starter so turning the key did nothing but set of the alarm for another 5 minutes.

Once armed I was never able to turn off the alarm with the key alone, it always required the remote. You said the remote flashes red but does nothing, have you tried putting a brand new battery in it? This is probably an obvious suggestion that you've already tried but it's something that I had to do a few times. The remote was real finicky and even though the red light lit when I pushed the button, if it didn't have a brand new battery in it and aimed just right (at what I have no idea, I just moved around the Jeep alot pushing the button & cursing to get it to work) it wouldn't disarm the alarm. It got so I kept a couple packs of whatever type battery it was in the glove compartment for the twice a year accidental arming of the alarm system.

#23 ·
XJ99 said:
Did you try my idea? :confused:
After exhausting all avenues and my patience, I had the Jeep towed to the shop today. They discovered a broken spring in the steering column that had falled down and jammed the assembly, effectively keeping the ignition switch from turning to start. I take some consolation in knowing that I didn't cause the problem- it was a fluke.

Thanks to all who submitted posts here- I appreciate the help and support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.