help with 89 overflow tank leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > help with 89 overflow tank leak

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 04-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
eas020223

help with 89 overflow tank leak

I have a 89 cherokee with the plastic overflow tank. About had to buy a new one becouse the original had a small leak around the hose neck so i bought a new one at car quest. Well the new tank leaks from the side and the cap area. So i bought a new cap and it still leake?? any ideas on what it can be?? The jeep runs fine and cool

eas020223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
XJ-NoDough

It's a poor design, to start with IMO. I also have an '89 , but I think this issue is one most of has been victim to one way or another. Mine leaks from the cap on the "pressure tank". When I bought it from my buddy, he mentioned that he had replaced the tank several times, from it splitting wide open. You might want to have a look at www.madxj.com, look under "technical" then click "engine" and "budget cooling upgrade (Closed to Open)". I'm seriously thinking about performing this on mine.

Have you burped the cooling system? Ie. gotten all the air out of it, because the air will expand alot farther than the coolant at raised temps. thus forcing coolant out where ever it can find a path.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
cmotsvt

^^^What he said^^^
Somebody should come up with an aftermarket metal tank reservoir.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
90lerado

they have metal tanks i forget who sells trhem tho. what i did when mine leaked at the hose bung is i cut it smooth and added a fitting to it and it worked. as far as the cracking, jb weld is your friend lol.

Wife's/my vehicle: 06 Pontiac vibe awd
Hopefully a jeep sometime in the future
90lerado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Koenig

My 88 XJ would also leak out of the plastic overflow. I found that if I didn't tighten the cap AS hard that it would leak a lot less or not at all. I think by over-tightening, the cap lost it's ability to release built up pressure. Just a thought, but give it a try it before replacing the bottle!
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.