Help! 89 Cherokee Rough Idle and Die - Rusty's Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help! 89 Cherokee Rough Idle and Die - Rusty's Intake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
bilwaukee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Help! 89 Cherokee Rough Idle and Die - Rusty's Intake

Hopefully someone can help me out... I'm fairly new to working on cars and when I got the chance to get a free cherokee, I figure it'd be a great time to learn. In an attempt get a little better gas mileage and performance, I got an intake from Rusty's. I put it in this morning, and now the car pretty much won't run at all! It starts up and runs for a bit, then dies. If i give it some extra gas it at least doesn't stall. I followed the directions and capped the vacuum line. I was playing with it at idle and when I pull the cap off it seems to run much better. This gets weirder though. I had done a temp fix of the line that runs off the top of the engine and back to the air box by duct taping it so at least the exhaust wasn't flooding the cab. When I pulled it off, there was some moisture in the line that didn't seem to smell like gas (so I don't know if that's related). The really weird part is after this whole thing, there seems to be a puddle under my tailpipe and the tailpipe is just dripping. It doesn't seem to smell like anything which makes me think it could be water somehow..... We did have a heavy rain this week and the car wasn't driven since last week, but I just don't see how it could get that much water in it.

Any suggestions? I've seen opinions that the Rusty's tube sucks, and I don't want to hear "just take if off cause it sucks anyway."

I messed with the vacuum connector piece where all the plastic tubes converge and rearranged it a little thinking the ports go straight through. Does anyone know if it actually does something other than link the tubes and hold them put? If you have a Haynes manual, the piece is marked as item 2 on page 199.

BTW, it's the 4.0L I6 in case you couldn't guess. I can email pics if needed.

bilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.