Help on 2000 Cherokee head problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help on 2000 Cherokee head problems

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
RoadW3

Help on 2000 Cherokee head problems

I am sure everyone knows about the 2K Cherokee head cracking problems. Well I have one. I can see coolant seeping between the 3 and 4 cylinder when I look down through the oil fill cap when the engine is hot. I called Chrysler and they told me they have never heard of a problem on this model year and cracked heads. I was like "yeah sure, just read on any Jeep forum and you will find out how bad it is". Anyways back on subject. What new head should I get, casting number wise. I did a search and one of the guys was talking about the new casting 0331 heads being better. How do I know I am getting a newer casting? Where is a good place to get one that will not cost me an arm and a leg? Where can I down load a service manual at for my 2K Jeep Cherokee? One last question, did they ever find a fix for the low oil pressure while the engine was hot issue I have and have been reading about? Was it head related also?

Any help would be great,
Eric

RoadW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

what head problem

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

Message me for the service manual info.

If I needed a head I'd check the scrap yards for one that had been wrecked and spend a few bucks at the local machine shop to have it checked before installing it. I believe the cast number is actually on the outside of the head, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wm

Last edited by HeepToJeep; 04-13-2008 at 06:10 PM..
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I found a '05 rubicon head w/11k for $200

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
RoadW3

So what years do I need to look for. I know there are wrecked Jeeps here in my area but I do not know the condition. I have checked Ebay and found a 0331 head that is advertised as being "beefed up". Was that casting number redesigned or fixed? I have the coil packs on plugs so I need a head with the coil pack mounts that are on my head so I can bolt everything down.

Thanks all,
Eric
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

04+ factory heads, or give Alabama cylinder head a call about their head, which is possibly a better casting. That is if you want to stay with the 0331 head.

Other wise get a 0630 or 0721(?) casting. However you will need to change the exhaust manifold and fab up mounts for your coil rail.

Don't get an 00-03 heads as they will crack as you have seen.
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Vaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadW3 View Post
One last question, did they ever find a fix for the low oil pressure while the engine was hot issue I have and have been reading about? Was it head related also?

Any help would be great,
Eric
Could be head related. Having coolant in your oil can cause a LOT of bearing wear. I started running a 40 wt oil after my head cracked and the oil pressure doesn't drop to 0 anymore.

My advice: Fix the head and sell the Jeep.
Vaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Low oil pressure issue? First I heard of that.
Unread 04-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Vaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXJ View Post
Low oil pressure issue? First I heard of that.
Oil pressure drops to zero at hot idle.

Edit: Actually, the oil pressure gauge reads zero, and the check engine light comes on. I doubt the pressure is actually at zero.

Last edited by Vaj; 04-14-2008 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: edit
Vaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Probably just need to replace the sender. However, with your present head issue the bearings could have been destroyed by coolant in the oil which would give you low oil pressure.
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
RoadW3

Replaced oil sender, oil pressure did improve but not what it should be. The Jeep was obtained so that a family member who is elderly and without a vehicle could have it. I picked it up knowing it had "minor" problems and have been reading up on the huge amout of head problems with these years of Jeeps. I owned a 97 GC Laredo and it was a great car, but this one sucks.

Now I did make a few calls today about the head and spoke to three different companies about the head. They all said that 0331 casting was crap and cracked faster than a dropped Saltine. They all said they sell two or three heads a DAY for that casting. That my friends is alot of heads being moved.

I just do not see how Chrysler cannot think there is a problem.

Eric
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I feel your pain on the 2000. Chrysler knows it is a problem but they don't give a crap. Much like the HVAC problems in the WJs and all the crappy Chrysler transmissions, the noisy AL D44, etc.

Did you call Alabama cylinder head?

I would say just throw one of the improved heads on and call it a day, but the low oil pressure is pointing to other problems. Unfortunately, since an elderly person will be driving it it may be best to take Vaj's advise and replace the head and sell the jeep.
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadW3 View Post
I just do not see how Chrysler cannot think there is a problem.
Its because it is not as widespread of a "problem" as you may think. Not all 0331 heads crack.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #14
RoadW3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Its because it is not as widespread of a "problem" as you may think. Not all 0331 heads crack.

You are correct, not all 0331's crack. The last figure I read was between 60 and 70 percent, so not 100 percent.

Eric
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
RoadW3

Yes, I did call Alabama Cylinder Head and they told me it would be a few weeks before anymore were in stock, sold out at the moment. He told me they sell them everyday. He also said they make their own with thicker spots between the prone crack areas, so I will most likely go with that one so I am not replacing it later. I know some said fix it and sell it but I just cant sell it knowing something might be wrong with it, unless I sell it for cheap and tell the next owner about all the problems.

Eric

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.