Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
bbowling0039

Help

OK i have a 1996 jeep Cherokee Laredo and it has just died on me and its not firing. I was driving it down the interstate and every couple min it would miss then i would slow back down to around 55-60 and it wouldn't do it then i speed back up and it shut off it cranks and cranks but wont start i checked to see if it was firing and it wasn't, so i had it towed in. It already has a new distributor cap and rotor button, new plugs and plug wires. so when it wasn't firing the first thing that came to mind was the coil pack so put a new one on it and it fired right up. So i figured it was fixed next day on my way to work same thing happens again. WTF. So a buddy of mine a mechanic said the only thing else it could be would be the ignition control module so i put a new one on it and still nothing. What else would make it not fire. Could it be the crank sensor? That is the only thing i can think of. When i bought it, it had a little miss and i noticed the next morning that it has a rough cold start. It will crank fast then slow way down almost like it has a dead battery but it has a new one, but after its warmed up it will start right back up fast. Please any advise would be appreciated i cant figure this thing out im tired of buying random parts and nothing fixing it. Oh yea and there is no check engine light on either there was when i first got it i checked it and it was a cylinder 1 misfire but it went away on its on randomly. HELP....

bbowling0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It could indeed be the CPS.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.