Hella 500 lights wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hella 500 lights wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
asquared829
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hella 500 lights wiring

I recently bought a 2000 jeep cherokee from a private seller. the truck is raised with offroad tires and whatnot. the guy i bought it from mounted hella lights on the front bumper, and said he wired them, just not all the way. there are two wires running from the lights to under my front seat, and he gave me a switch. he said all i had to do was connect the wires and switch and the lights would work, and i did that but nothing happened. any suggestions on something i could check/change to make the lights work?

asquared829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
darkhanger18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If i were you, i wouldnt trust the PO's wiring. The lights should be wired with a relay, to give them maximum brightness. http://www.suvlights.com/images/aux_wiring_diagrams.jpg

Use something like that to help get you started.
1999 Cherokee stock suspension(for now) 235/75/15 kuhmo MT's 7" touch-screen w/nav, pheonix gold 4 ch, alpine mono, RF punch stage 2 10" subs, mb quart speakers, 2 150watt lights on the roof, fogs and driving lights on the bumper, LED lighting inside
darkhanger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

As was already posted, for safety reasons and common practice, use a relay and inline fuse in your wiring harness along with at least 16ga. wiring for legal wattage bulbs. You may also want to look into tapping into your high beam circuit if you only want the light active with your high beams.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
murrayman23
1987 XJ Cherokee 

there should be 3 wires going into your driver side compartment. One from the battery, one ground, and one from the lights. is there one from the battery? if not look for a ground? he must have a wire coming from lights.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Blue"] [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="White"]"Rusty"[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] 1987 Jeep Cherokee XJ. 4.0L. 4X4. NP242. 3.5" RE superflex kit. RE Twin Tube Shocks. Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizer. Cragar soft 8's. 31" BFGoodrich A/T KO. Warrior Products Rock Crawler Bumper. Cobra CB. Firestik Firefly antenna. KC Daylighters.[COLOR="Black"]Half Herculined[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Half Navy blue[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
murrayman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hella's website isn't loading right now, but they have wiring instructions.
Unread 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
FransWhiteXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
Hella's website isn't loading right now, but they have wiring instructions.
Here it is (4.5 MB!) http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...structions.pdf

Fran
FransWhiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going in another direction, did it have the factory fog lights, if so you can just use those wires. It uses the same 55 watt bulbs as the factory fogs.
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
MoochsXJ
2007 WK 

If you take your time and follow the hella instructions, and even do a mock up before hand it will go pretty easy. My first time with wire was when I recently put the 500's on my rubi and it came out great. It took some time but I had to be patient and I mocked everything up first then connected the battery and grounds to test if the lights worked, then reassembled the whole thing except on my truck.

Misc. Jeep stuff for sale/free
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664793
MoochsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
FlexdXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

do you have to hook the wire up to the high beams? I kinda want to be able to use my lights on high and low if it is ever needed. If it is required which color wire is for the high beams?
Unread 03-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #10
FlexdXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

anything guys ? i need to know before i get everything mounted
Unread 03-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
mbood82
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the Hellas should be wired independently of any factory wiring. Supply power to the relay from the battery, then from the relay to the lights. ground the lights. supply power to the switch and from the switch to the signal terminal on the relay, ground relay. done.
mbood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
asquared829
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for all the help! the lights are up and running. now im looking for a set of four lights to mount on my roof. anyone know where i can find a good set?
asquared829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJflex View Post
do you have to hook the wire up to the high beams? I kinda want to be able to use my lights on high and low if it is ever needed. If it is required which color wire is for the high beams?
I tapped the high beam relay for the trigger on the driving light relay on both rigs. That's the 'proper' way to do it. Your driving lights should not come on with the low beams as it violates DOT specs, IIRC. If you want to be able to switch them off and on, then the switch goes on the ground wire for the relay.

If you absolutely need them to come off and on independently of the headlights, I'd recommend running the trigger off of a switched +12v source and putting the switch on the relay ground. Keep in mind though that it is illegal to run auxiliary lights without headlights in most states and it is discourteous and illegal to run driving lights with your low beams when there is oncoming traffic.

Fog lights should be wired to come on with low beams, driving lights should be wired to come on with high beams.
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
FransWhiteXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared829 View Post
thanks for all the help! the lights are up and running. now im looking for a set of four lights to mount on my roof. anyone know where i can find a good set?
Try these guys. They're located in the same city as Hella HQ.

http://ptcfactoryoutlet.com/products...furbished.html

Fran
FransWhiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
FlexdXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
I tapped the high beam relay for the trigger on the driving light relay on both rigs. That's the 'proper' way to do it. Your driving lights should not come on with the low beams as it violates DOT specs, IIRC. If you want to be able to switch them off and on, then the switch goes on the ground wire for the relay.

If you absolutely need them to come off and on independently of the headlights, I'd recommend running the trigger off of a switched +12v source and putting the switch on the relay ground. Keep in mind though that it is illegal to run auxiliary lights without headlights in most states and it is discourteous and illegal to run driving lights with your low beams when there is oncoming traffic.

Fog lights should be wired to come on with low beams, driving lights should be wired to come on with high beams.
I dont want to run them with the high beams on i want them to run with the low beams on so i can have them as my long range lighting and my low beams for the close range. I don't plan on using them on the street unless absolutely necessary. I guess i will hook them up per the instructions and see what i get then thanks for the input

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.