Heater Vent Problem, But Cruise Works - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heater Vent Problem, But Cruise Works

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_xj View Post
Well, I had time to dig back into it, but I'm not making any progress.

I've verified that I have vacuum into the cab. Nothing in the engine bay seem to be leaking, though the check valve is shot.

Which check valve, the HVAC check valve or the one at the intake manifold? What did you do about this?

I used my bleeder at the HVAC vacuum port and things move about the same as when the engine is running, which is to say sluggishly. I took apart the HVAC vacuum harness, found that the recirculator line was totally plugged, and fixed that.

Plugged with what? Maybe the entire HVAC vacuum plumbing system is plugged.

The recirc door operates now, but never totally closes. I also found that there's a gap between the HVAC box and the defrost vent, which may explain why I'm not getting much flow through the center defrost, while the side defrost vents are okay.

Bottom line, everything is cycling, but it's sluggish and nothing opens or closes the whole way. There's always a bit of air coming out of the face vents, and the air is always cold or tepid at best.

Sounds like the HVAC vacuum system is plugged (not leaking) and the vacuum available at the door actuators is too low (if this is possible). You might try tapping into the vacuum connection at the Recirc door actuator with your vacuum guage and run the engine with the Mode Selector OFF (see circuit diagram) so that vacuum is supplied to the Recirc door actuator. The vacuum available should be the same as the engine vacuum at idle, i.e., 17-22 in/hg. If it's less than 8 in.hg the door system may not work properly.

I'm trying to go back to square one in case I missed something, so I pulled the hoses and ran water through the core, which came out clean. I also checked the blend door: The motor is working, and I'm able to turn the door by hand.

Honestly, I'm at my wits end with this thing, but I don't want to pay a shop to retrace all my steps. I may just start looking for a salvage HVAC box.

In the mean time, any suggestions are welcome. I really appreciate the help.
Try this and see what you get. If the system appears to be plugged, it may have to be cleared.

Unread 01-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
colton_xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Quote:
I've verified that I have vacuum into the cab. Nothing in the engine bay seem to be leaking, though the check valve is shot.
Which check valve, the HVAC check valve or the one at the intake manifold? What did you do about this?
This was the one at the intake manifold. Turns out I don't actually have one at the HVAC tap. I'm going to try to pick them up at a dealer on my way home tonight.

Quote:
Quote:
I used my bleeder at the HVAC vacuum port and things move about the same as when the engine is running, which is to say sluggishly. I took apart the HVAC vacuum harness, found that the recirculator line was totally plugged, and fixed that.
Plugged with what? Maybe the entire HVAC vacuum plumbing system is plugged.
Some kind of soot. I had to take out the whole hose, then put a bunch of pressure on it with my bleeder, and it finally gave way as a puff of black soot shot out the other end.

As I mentioned earlier, the actuators aren't cycling smoothly--they actually kind of creak and crack as they move. I wonder whether they've started to corrode on the inside and have sent a bunch of junk down the vacuum lines.

Quote:
Quote:
The recirc door operates now, but never totally closes. I also found that there's a gap between the HVAC box and the defrost vent, which may explain why I'm not getting much flow through the center defrost, while the side defrost vents are okay.

Bottom line, everything is cycling, but it's sluggish and nothing opens or closes the whole way. There's always a bit of air coming out of the face vents, and the air is always cold or tepid at best.
Sounds like the HVAC vacuum system is plugged (not leaking) and the vacuum available at the door actuators is too low (if this is possible). You might try tapping into the vacuum connection at the Recirc door actuator with your vacuum guage and run the engine with the Mode Selector OFF (see circuit diagram) so that vacuum is supplied to the Recirc door actuator. The vacuum available should be the same as the engine vacuum at idle, i.e., 17-22 in/hg. If it's less than 8 in.hg the door system may not work properly.
Quote:
Try this and see what you get. If the system appears to be plugged, it may have to be cleared.
Thanks, I'll give this a try tonight.
colton_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
colton_xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the slow response; garage time has been hard to come by recently. I did test the vacuum at the recirc door, and it's getting enough suction.

I finally gave in and pulled the whole HVAC box out so I could see what was going on. Based on the sounds they're making, the actuators are all incredibly corroded on the inside, which means they will slowly move under vacuum (except the defrost vent, which was completely stuck half-closed), but they won't return to their resting position once it's removed, i.e., they're all half-open all the time.

I bought a salvage HVAC box to use for parts, along with a new heater core, since I'm already in there. Between those, and some time cleaning and de-clogging everything, I should be able to get it running smoothly. I'll post if I run into anything else, but I expect this will do it.

Thanks for all your help running this thing down, guys; I really appreciate it.
colton_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #19
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sorry for the slow response; garage time has been hard to come by recently. I did test the vacuum at the recirc door, and it's getting enough suction.

I finally gave in and pulled the whole HVAC box out so I could see what was going on. Based on the sounds they're making, the actuators are all incredibly corroded on the inside, which means they will slowly move under vacuum (except the defrost vent, which was completely stuck half-closed), but they won't return to their resting position once it's removed, i.e., they're all half-open all the time.

I bought a salvage HVAC box to use for parts, along with a new heater core, since I'm already in there. Between those, and some time cleaning and de-clogging everything, I should be able to get it running smoothly. I'll post if I run into anything else, but I expect this will do it.

Thanks for all your help running this thing down, guys; I really appreciate it.
You should change the AC Evaporator while you're at it. They do deteriorate and leak after time.

Verify the Blend-Air door is in good condition while the Unit is open and moving freely after you close the Unit up, and before reinstalling it in the vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.