Heater Hose Placement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heater Hose Placement

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 11-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Heater Hose Placement

This is the directional flowing of coolant in the cooling system, taken from the 1997 XJ FSM.

Now my question/ concern is about the heater hoses. There is a upper and a lower coming out of the heater core, according to the picture the upper is the outgoing while the lower is the in going coolant flow. In the picture the upper(outgoing) hose connects respectively to the bottom of the water pump, and the lower(incoming) hose connects respectively to the upper part of the water pump. So basically they kinda crisscross. Ok now that i am done explaining to yal what you already know or can depict from the picture.

My hoses do no do this. The upper hose coming out of the heater core goes to the top of the water pump and the lower hose goes to the bottum. So why are they different from the FSM? Does anybody know which direction the coolant is flowing through those hoses? Which one is flowing in to the heater core and which one is flowing out?

Edit: Sorry that pic is a little to small ill see if i can resize it
Edit x2: There ya go its bigger and easier to see now.

RJC #377
StokedXJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a heater control valve? I eliminated mine and ran hoses like the diagram, but I can't remember if mine criss cross like that one. I do know that there are two sizes of hoses on mine. The t-stat and one of the heater core inlets is 3/4" while the water pump tube and the other heater core outlet are 5/8", so I just ran it that way. The direction of flow through the heater core won't matter.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
dyna

Without one sitting in from of me I`ll guess if you look at the H20 pump you might be able to tell which is the output side or outlet based on location of the heater output/input nipples and the impeller cavity. Yours could be switched ? One way to tell for sure is gently pull both hoses off the core and hold em up above the engine about a foot then fire it up and see which spews coolant and hook that one to the bottom of the core.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrasm
Do you have a heater control valve? I eliminated mine and ran hoses like the diagram, but I can't remember if mine criss cross like that one. I do know that there are two sizes of hoses on mine. The t-stat and one of the heater core inlets is 3/4" while the water pump tube and the other heater core outlet are 5/8", so I just ran it that way. The direction of flow through the heater core won't matter.
Heater Control Valve? Im not sure if i do or not.....

I just checked the hose that goes from my T-stat to the heater core(upper) is 11/16" not 3/4". So i am assuming that this tells me someone has done work on the cooling system of my Jeep?

With the T-stat taken out, If i were to pump water into one of the heater hoses the direction of flow doesn't matter to flush the system?
RJC #377
StokedXJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

A 97 XJ does not have a heater control valve, and coolant circulates through the heater core all the time. The diagram you are shown in your manual is the correct routing for the hoses. The inlet to the heater core is the lower hose, and the outlet is the upper hose.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Tedster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

does anyone have the heater hoses that run through the manifold then to the heater core? having a hard time finding the hoses since the engine is an 83 in an 89 yj
Tedster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster View Post
does anyone have the heater hoses that run through the manifold then to the heater core? having a hard time finding the hoses since the engine is an 83 in an 89 yj
Got a picture...never seen a configuration like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.