Heater Core Replaced, Blower Motor Replaced, still see white smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heater Core Replaced, Blower Motor Replaced, still see white smoke

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
ONEWAYXJ

Heater Core Replaced, Blower Motor Replaced, still see white smoke

Hello Jeep Forum,

Almost a year ago I noticed coolant leaking onto the floorboards of my XJ. Thanks to this forum we were able to remove the dash, replace the old and faulty heater core, and put the dash back in place. At the time when we replaced the heater core everything worked. A few months after we replaced the heater core, I turned on the defroster and white smoke came through the vents (didn't smell like coolant, it smelled like old ciagarette ashes). There was also no air coming through the vents. My logic was that the blower motor had burned up. The Jeep is a 97 Cherokee Sport 4.0. We replaced the blower motor today and the same white smoke is coming through the vents when I turn on the heat and I still do not have air coming through the vents. Can someone please let me know if there is something else I need to replace or do?

Thank you.

-onewayXJ

ONEWAYXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

You say the following: "We replaced the blower motor today and the same white smoke is coming through the vents when I turn on the heat and I still do not have air coming through the vents."

Can you explain more clearly what you mean?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The blower switch burning the wires at the back of it. Pull the switch out of the dash board and visually check the wires for damage.
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I read something about this on this forum or the Cherokee forum with photos of your symptoms. It was the result of something going bad, but I cannot recall what it was. Do a search and post the link if you find it. Thank you.
residentg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
ONEWAYXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
You say the following: "We replaced the blower motor today and the same white smoke is coming through the vents when I turn on the heat and I still do not have air coming through the vents."

Can you explain more clearly what you mean?
Sure, we thought maybe the motor was burning up and needed to be replaced so we put in a new motor and started the engine to test it. When we turned power to the jeep, we should have been able to hear and feel the blower motor turning on, but we didnt. We turned the engine over, and the motor of course still didnt kick on, but after we ran the jeep for a minute or so we began to see a light smoke creeping out of the interior dash vents.
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
teknics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEWAYXJ View Post
Sure, we thought maybe the motor was burning up and needed to be replaced so we put in a new motor and started the engine to test it. When we turned power to the jeep, we should have been able to hear and feel the blower motor turning on, but we didnt. We turned the engine over, and the motor of course still didnt kick on, but after we ran the jeep for a minute or so we began to see a light smoke creeping out of the interior dash vents.
I'm guessing same as guy up a few posts melted connector on blower resistor or fan speed switch. Prob burning wires
teknics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEWAYXJ View Post
Ah...you mean you see wisps of white smoke through the vents, but no forced air from the fan through those same vents.

The issue most likely is the blower resistor pack, as others have noted, but a little work with a VOM might be in order here to check the circuit wiring.
Unread 01-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
ONEWAYXJ

Is this what you all are refering to? Thanks!

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...acement-11133/
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
ONEWAYXJ

We replaced the stock BMR switch with an RU1046 BWD resistor from Advance Auto. The blower motor is still not cutting on and there is no air coming from the vents. So far we have already replaced the heater core, blower motor, and now the blower motor resistor. Any ideas as to what else we can check? Thanks.
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
ONEWAYXJ

Update: We just checked the fan blower fuse and it is perfectly fine. Not sure what else we can check.
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Let's slow down here. Throwing parts at this is NOT fixing the problem, obviously. Do you own a VOM? If not, buy a cheap one, it will help you solve this problem.

Then start tracing the power from the fuse on out to the blower motor.

Is there power TO the fuse? Is there power coming OUT of the fuse? Is there power at the switch? How about at the resistor pack? How about at the blower motor proper?

Tags
blower motor , heater core , no air

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.