Heater Core and Evap Core at the same time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heater Core and Evap Core at the same time?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
mfinkler

Heater Core and Evap Core at the same time?

OK, I have a 96 with 130k on it. Heater core is leaking. A/C system works fine so I assume no leak in the evap core but would you put a new evap core at the same time? Would hate for it to start leaking over the next year and have to do all of this again.

mfinkler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

When my 2000 heater core started leaking, I took no chances----I replaced the evaporator at the same time. Why risk doing the labor twice when it's such a big PITA to do the job?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely at the same time! Good write up at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...thread-592844/
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Yup, do it at the same time.

That little extra investment is gonna pay you back. Chances are your evap core could be the original unit, so it's not exactly new. If you don't replace it now, I bet it'll blow up within a few days after putting everything back together

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Ih8Hondas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Always do both at once. I'm working on mine right now. I was just going to replace my leaky evaporator core but once I found out how much of a PITA it is I went and got a heater core too. I don't plan on ever doing this job again myself. I'll just stick to playing with engines.
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had the reverse of the OP (evaporator was leaking, not the hater core), but had both done at the same time since it is such a pain and you are there any way. The heater core was original, but the evaporator....well I'm on number 3 (original factory unit, warranty unit after 3 years, and now this non-Mopar unit which I hope will last longer than the first two).
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
1976j10
1976 J-Series Truck 

I'd go ahead and do it. Why take the dash out twice when you can fix everything on the first try?
1976j10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.