Heater Core Bypass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heater Core Bypass?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
afguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Heater Core Bypass?

My heater core is leaking a little and I live in Hawaii, so I will never use the heat. I was thinking of bypassing it by connecting the two hoses together. Any foreseen problems with this?

Unread 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afguy View Post
My heater core is leaking a little and I live in Hawaii, so I will never use the heat. I was thinking of bypassing it by connecting the two hoses together. Any foreseen problems with this?
I don't think it should be a problem, just make sure you bend the hoses smoothly without kinks so that water can flow. IIRC, the 2.5 / 4.0 uses the heater core as the thermostat bypass, so it needs to allow water to flow to let the engine warm up evenly and to warm the thermostat so that it will open at the right time.
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You'll need some type of adapter to connect them. The hoses are different sizes, 5/8 and 3/4 I think.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I bought a hose T for like $1. Mine has been running Bypassed for almost a year with no problems. The only thing is it seems to run a tad warmer then it used to. I going to try to takle my heater core replacement tomorrow. I'm going to try and take pictures and post my take on it in the future.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
afguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tackling the heater core isn't that bad of a job its just that its not really worth the money since I never use it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.