Heater core? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heater core?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Dragnz24

Heater core?

Yeah yeah i know summer is around the corner and i wont need my heat.
I noticed that my heater core is bypassed. There for i am thinking that it is shot. Since the weather is not going to be bad right not i figure that i might as well fix this before it does get cold again.

Has anyone replaced their own heater core and how much of pain in the arse was it. is there anything i should beaware of before i start removing dash pannels?

http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/
Dragnz24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Parky

I have yet to do one on the Jeep, however the two I have done (89 Mustang and and 89 VW Golf) I could swear they lowered the heater core into a room and built the vehicles around them.

I will read my Haynes and get back to you tonight.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
dajeepman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its a lot of work.. the dealer and most shops around here tells me that they have to pull the dash almost all part to get to it. Mine is 40% pluged up.
dajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
KamekLocked
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Removing a dash and replacing a heater core is not as hard as most people make it out to be. It is mostly time consuming but by no means hard. I'm not sure how the XJ ones come out but don't let it scare you.
Optima Yellow Top l Custom Headlight Harness
Alpine CDA-9886
KamekLocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
spencer411
2001 XJ Cherokee 

my XJ is still under the extended warranty I got when I purchased it. and good thing I did cuz my XJ was spewing coolant into the driver and passenger side from under the dash. anyway i had my local dealer replace the core and my deductible was only 100 bucks. i forget exactly how much it actually costs to have this done, but it was pretty expensive (6 or 7 hundy i think).

when i got it back everything seemed to be working perfectly. the weather warmed up a bit and i stopped using the heater. then it got cold here again (weather in St. Louis is all over the place) and when I went to use it, my heater wasnt working at all. so now I need to call them back and see if i will have to pay my deductible again... ?

so my story doesnt really help much, but its a lengthy and expensive job. if you can or know someone that can do it, go that route. a dealer or shop will want lots of money from you if you dont.
3" lift on 31" MTs un-cut[/COLOR]
spencer411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
TwoOne
1999 WJ 

The heater core went out on my 88 last winter, I just bought a replacement from Advance, I think it took me about 2 days all together to replace it working a couple hours each day, the main reason it took so long was because I was so bloody cold outside and I had to break every few minutes to get warmed up.

I would say if you have a chiltons manual which is what I used, and know your way around a wrench it should only take about 3 or so hours. I didn't have to remove the dash at all, just a bunch of stuff under the dash and it slid out on the passenger side. Reinstalling was the biggest pain because it takes quite a bit of effort for everything to line back up right. Take your time and watch what you're doing and it won't be that bad.
Unread 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamekLocked
Removing a dash and replacing a heater core is not as hard as most people make it out to be. It is mostly time consuming but by no means hard. I'm not sure how the XJ ones come out but don't let it scare you.
x2, it was definately not hard, just time consuming. I didn't need to remove the entire dash, I was able to unbolt the passenger side and get enough room to get the heater core out. Took about 5 hours from start to finish.
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XJ
x2, it was definately not hard, just time consuming. I didn't need to remove the entire dash, I was able to unbolt the passenger side and get enough room to get the heater core out. Took about 5 hours from start to finish.
I'm still waiting on you to come do mine for me...
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
I'm still waiting on you to come do mine for me...
You've been waiting like what a year, you might waiting for just as long again.
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
topcop38

my understanding is the jeep is similar to the durango. i changed the one in our 99 durango and it wasn't fun. the dealer wanted like $1200 so i did it myself. no hard work but the whole dash had to come out and the AC had to be discharged then recharged. took about 16 hours from start to finish.
topcop38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
cardana24

So do you have to discharge your AC to change the heater core? I have coolant all over my passenger side floor board so I need to change the heater core, but I am not sure if I want to do it my self or not. My Haynes manual says you have to discharge the AC system, but I would rather not (I just charged it). I have never changed a heater core before and would appreciate some advice and how to get to it the quickest. Do I need to take the dash out? My XJ does not have any carpet so that may make things a little easier.

this is on an 85 with the 2.8 V6
cardana24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardana24
So do you have to discharge your AC to change the heater core? I have coolant all over my passenger side floor board so I need to change the heater core, but I am not sure if I want to do it my self or not. My Haynes manual says you have to discharge the AC system, but I would rather not (I just charged it). I have never changed a heater core before and would appreciate some advice and how to get to it the quickest. Do I need to take the dash out? My XJ does not have any carpet so that may make things a little easier.

this is on an 85 with the 2.8 V6
Yes, to remove the heater box, you must disconnect the AC evaporator. That, by default, means discharging the AC system.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
cardana24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
Yes, to remove the heater box, you must disconnect the AC evaporator. That, by default, means discharging the AC system.
Thanks I am working on it right now. I post back if I run into snags.
cardana24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #14
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is there anyway to test the Heater Core?
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
KamekLocked
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the hoses off the heater core and run water through them with a hose, see how fast it comes out...Then you have to bleed the air out of the coolant system when you put it back together.
Optima Yellow Top l Custom Headlight Harness
Alpine CDA-9886
KamekLocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.