Heater control lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heater control lights

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
dcuballa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Heater control lights

Does the heater control/AC control light up when you turn the lights on. I thought it did and since I recently took the dash out so I dont know if I didnt hook something back up or not. So if anyone can answer this....it would help me trying to find a wire under the dash....(if it does light up what does the wire look like) and on this topic now when I turn my headlight switch over to turn on the inside lights....they wont light up.....whats the deal with that....where is that wire, I thought since it was one single switch it would be that 6 prong connector on the light switch itself.....any help would be so great!!

08-Driver Unknown
Sponsor Unknown Chevy Silverado
[B][U]HOLY CRAP THATS A LOT OF UNKNOWNS[/U][/B]
dcuballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
dcuballa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

anybody...plus 20 and a few more......
08-Driver Unknown
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
01JeepXJ

they should come on when you turn the lights on

check some fuses
**SOLD **
01JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
kencaz

Yes the heater control lights up. There is a bulb behind on the right side. A twist will remove it. try re-seating the bulb and it should work.

For the dome light, yes it is tied into the headlight switch as well as the door open switches. Does the dome work when you open the door? If not then it's probably the bulb, if so then you'll have to pull the light switch and check the wire's their. Their is a rheostat on the front of the switch for dimming the dash. if you turn it all the way you will see where it make's contact to turn the dome light on. see if it is making good contact there.

Good Luck

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
XJ-NoDough

For the dome light, could be a dirty pin-switch in the door jamb.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
dcuballa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok....the dome lights light up whenever the door is opened....but they dont when you turn the light switch over....so that is the connector.....whats the easiest way to get to this other than having to take the dash apart again
08-Driver Unknown
Unread 01-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
mylt1

you have either a broken or cut wire. some where between the switch and the lights. see of you can find a wiring diagram for your xj it will tell you what color and a round about way it is run.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
kencaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuballa
Ok....the dome lights light up whenever the door is opened....but they dont when you turn the light switch over....so that is the connector.....whats the easiest way to get to this other than having to take the dash apart again
You can remove the switch from under the dash, however, it's a bear to get at and the harness is very short, (on mine at least). Check the Yellow wire into the harness, if it's connected properly then it's probably within the switch. I (myself) would not replace the headlamp switch just for the dome light.

If I were you I would just get an SPST switch, 2 feet of wire, find the connector for the door switch, connect the Yellow and Black wires to the switch. Then you have a manual overide for the driver's door switch.

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.