heat wont get hot just gets warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > heat wont get hot just gets warm

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
tehmilz
2000 XJ Cherokee 

heat wont get hot just gets warm

the heat in my 2000 cherokee sport with the 4.0 will only get warm. the temp goes to 195 but the heat doesnt get hot any ideas?

tehmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
jettatdi
1973 FSJ Cherokee 

I have the same problem with my 97 Cherokee. Let me know if you find a solution.
jettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

By far, the most common cause of weak heat into the cab if coolant temp is at a reasonable temperature, is a partially clogged heater core.

Running near 200 means that your thermostat is working okay and there is no heater control valve on a 2000.

Verify blend door operation, but suspect the heater core if that checks out.

They sometimes can be backflushed with a garden hose to restore function but if that doesn't work, it would need to be replaced.

Feel both the hoses going to the heater core when the engine is hot. If one is hot and the other not so much, that is proof of a heater core problem. That technique though is not completely foolproof for a partially clogged core.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

until you get it fixed, buy one of those electric heaters that plug into your lighter. they sell them at truck stops by the CBs.
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
dirty97jeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

try disconnecting both hoses from the heater core and and if possible hook a hose up to one end and increase water pressure slowly and you should se some gunk and whatnot coming out of the other end.
dirty97jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
tehmilz
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i did that to my whole cooling system today dirty97jeep. now the heat gets nice and toasty! thanks guys
tehmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Smittyman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Haha, exact same thing happened to me. Works like a charm! Glad you got it taken care of

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.