Heat doesn't work, in the winter of course. HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heat doesn't work, in the winter of course. HELP!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Grizzly944
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Heat doesn't work, in the winter of course. HELP!

So my heat does not work, and neither does my A/C. I just replaced my radiator because it was leaking. My Accessory fan does not work anymore. I have a light colored smoke coming from my vents when the vehicle warms up, and when on the highway. Even with the A/C and heat are off. It smells pretty bad. I have read that it could be the heater core, but i've checked out the floor board and its not wet. So if anyone can recommend anything, without me removing the whole dash to fix the heater core that would be awesome! Thanks, and sorry for the paragraph.

Grizzly944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A good heater core flush (back and forth) makes a big difference. Lots of crap can build up in there. I used Prestone Radiator flush and it helped. Then a local vintage car guy suggested using Cascade dishwasher soap (the gel kind) and it really cleaned lots of stuff out of the heater core. My heat works much better.

I would try that to get any crap out of the core first. You may have a leak though. Also, does your accessory fan not work due to a bad relay, fan motor, or sensor?

The temp sensor might not be reading correctly which won't turn the fan on at the right temp.

Where in CT are you?

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
rayxjs

My 99 sport heats but don't use it because it smells like exsuoust , live in Pa turn it on for a few min then shut it off , just to take the chill out in the morning.any one heard of this.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
rayxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly944 View Post
So my heat does not work, and neither does my A/C. I just replaced my radiator because it was leaking. My Accessory fan does not work anymore. I have a light colored smoke coming from my vents when the vehicle warms up, and when on the highway. Even with the A/C and heat are off. It smells pretty bad. I have read that it could be the heater core, but i've checked out the floor board and its not wet. So if anyone can recommend anything, without me removing the whole dash to fix the heater core that would be awesome! Thanks, and sorry for the paragraph.
If the core is confirmed to be leaking, there is NO WAY to remove it without taking the dash apart to gain access to the heater box and then remove it to remove the core.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Grizzly944
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
A good heater core flush (back and forth) makes a big difference. Lots of crap can build up in there. I used Prestone Radiator flush and it helped. Then a local vintage car guy suggested using Cascade dishwasher soap (the gel kind) and it really cleaned lots of stuff out of the heater core. My heat works much better.

I would try that to get any crap out of the core first. You may have a leak though. Also, does your accessory fan not work due to a bad relay, fan motor, or sensor?

The temp sensor might not be reading correctly which won't turn the fan on at the right temp.

Where in CT are you?
Thanks, i'll give that a try. And im far away from storrs haha, Plainville
Grizzly944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.