Heat/ac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Heat/ac

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
troydg

Heat/ac

When I turn my heat on in the morning my jeep makes a very annoying squeaking sound for a little bit on and off until it eventually stops. Anybody know what causes this and or how to fix it? Thanks

troydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg View Post
When I turn my heat on in the morning my jeep makes a very annoying squeaking sound for a little bit on and off until it eventually stops. Anybody know what causes this and or how to fix it? Thanks
Sounds like the blower has gone bad. Fan rubbing on the housing.

My POS 2000 T&C did that. I ended up changing the motor/fan assembly.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
troydg

Is it expensive?
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Is it expensive?
Yes. And it is a PITA to change.

Before going any further, do an inspection of the blower fan for Chipmunk bones or their nesting material in the fan.

Do this:

Roll the glove box down. Pull the rubber stops on the glove box hinges down and the box will roll out of the way.

Looking inside the opening you'll see a green electrical connector and a relay. Look to the right of them and you'll see the Recirulation Air Door and its actuator. See pic.

With the Recirc door open you can see the bottom half of the blower fan. If the door is closed, like in the pic, you'll need to open the door. To do so, move the AC/Heat control panel Mode Selector knob to Max AC (Recirculation), see #11 in the pic below.

If the door doesn't open (opens inward), start the engine to charge the HVAC vacuum system, shut the engine down and try opening the door again.

With the door open, look in at the blower fan (with a flashlight) and see if there's any crap in there that would jamb the fan. This includes sealing material from the blower and the door.

Turn the ignition key to RUN, without starting the engine. With recirc selected the blower speed select switch is armed. With the blower speed set at #1 position the fan will rotate at its slowest speed. See if the fan is rubbing and causing the noise you hear. If not, select the next highst fan speed then check it out.

If you conclude that the fan is rubbing on crap in the fan area, you may have to remove the blower assembly to clean it out, then the blower assembly can be reinstalled. If the area is clean but the fan is rubbing on the housing the blower assembly should be replaced.

Check it out and get back with your results and/or with any questions.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Is it expensive?
Do a search for "heater blower motor" on some of the auto parts stores websites, such as Autozone. They will show prices and availability.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
troydg

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.