Headlights are horrible need help.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Headlights are horrible need help..

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Headlights are horrible need help..

So when I purchased this jeep the guy had just put "upgraded" headlights in about a week before I bought it. It has the projector housing with 6000k Xenon Bulbs. I know this is not the best set up and I am aware there are much better. My question is...if I run a better harness to these lights will it still suck or will I know be able to drive at night safely. Right now I cant seen crap at night. I will eventually replace them but for now...will this help at all?

uga84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
landude
1999 XJ Cherokee 

More then you ever want to know here..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...rness-1496933/
Get a Putco harness from Amazon and then something like these..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1CIVRACVETZ2I
landude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If you can't see safely with normally functioning stock headlights, the problem is not with the headlights.

Yes, there are much better lights available, but the stock are adequate for safe driving.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark View Post
If you can't see safely with normally functioning stock headlights, the problem is not with the headlights.

Yes, there are much better lights available, but the stock are adequate for safe driving.
You didn't read my post at all did you? I never said anything about them being stock headlights.
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Going to just upgrade my harness and see what happens. The housing and bulb is brand new...will just use them till its time to replace to something better. Just curious if a upgraded harness with make this projector headlamps with 6000k bright? Right now it looks like I have a flashlight on my hood that is low on batteries lol.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga84 View Post
You didn't read my post at all did you? I never said anything about them being stock headlights.
If you have lights that should be BETTER than stock, and the stock are good enough for basic driving, and your BETTER than stock isn't good enough, then something is wrong that isn't the headlights.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I will start with the harness and see what happens. Can anyone point me into the right direction of the right harness to buy with projector housing and hid...or does it really matter? A link to a harness would be awesome. Thanks gents
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-H...item4d05ffa39e

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
jk_surgeonfish
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As said many times before, the biggest upgrade for lights you can do is the harness. I built a new harness and run Silverstars and they are brighter then the lights on my Honda Pilot. We live out in the country and the difference is huge compared to stock harness. Start with the harness and then go from there.

Good luck.
jk_surgeonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I want to replace my factory harness on my 2000xj that has factory fogs. Is there a simple way to do this without any modification to the new harness? I never worked with electric before so id much prefer to just replace the harness with an upgraded one without modification. Thanks.
JBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Get yourself a Putco harness, its plug and play, very easy! http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW.../dp/B001P29X4G

Plenty of people run them. I'm currently running it with Autopal 200mm E-code housings and Hella 80/100 H4 bulbs, my lights are now on par with newer vehicles and I can see!!!

Edit: I'm curious, what do these projector housings look like? can you take some picture and post them up?
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max78
Get yourself a Putco harness, its plug and play, very easy! http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW.../dp/B001P29X4G Plenty of people run them. I'm currently running it with Autopal 200mm E-code housings and Hella 80/100 H4 bulbs, my lights are now on par with newer vehicles and I can see!!! Edit: I'm curious, what do these projector housings look like? can you take some picture and post them up?
I read in another thread that if you have factory fogs you need to perform a modification otherwise your fogs/high beams won't work?
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
I read in another thread that if you have factory fogs you need to perform a modification otherwise your fogs/high beams won't work?

I donít know anything about that as I do not have fog lights.

To install the harness all you do is unplug the stock harness from the headlights and plug the stock driver side harness into the Putco harness and then plug the Putco harness into the headlights. Then you mount the relays, install the grounds and connect the power.

I'm not sure how the fogs work but I'm not sure how the harness would interfere with them?
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

From what I read the setup interferes with the highbeams and fogs. Does anyone know about this?
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
uga84
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
From what I read the setup interferes with the highbeams and fogs. Does anyone know about this?
A. Start your own thread and find out. B. Search on this forum I am sure you will find your answer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.