Headlight Wiring Harness Upgrade Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Headlight Wiring Harness Upgrade Question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Kleber
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Headlight Wiring Harness Upgrade Question

I've been throwing the thought of upgrading my headlight wiring harness around and I've decided I'll follow through, I was looking at purchasing this harness

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/ccc4l.htm

But I had two questions, what is the max size bulb I can put in there? I'm looking at the HELLA H4 Series 130/90 Watt 12 V Halogen Bulb but on the harness its rated for 100/90W, so I'm wondering if I bought higher rated resistors would that allow me to put in bigger bulbs?

Thanks for the help

Kleber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

With Hella H-4 housings and an upgraded wire harness, 60/55w bulbs are very bright and any bulbs larger than 70/65w are overkill. 100/90 or larger will just be annoying and blinding to oncoming traffic.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
With Hella H-4 housings and an upgraded wire harness, 60/55w bulbs are very bright and any bulbs larger than 70/65w are overkill. 100/90 or larger will just be annoying and blinding to oncoming traffic.
Correct. I have 100/90s in one of my Jeeps with the harness and I get flashed once in a while even though the lamps are aimed properly.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Kleber
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Great info thanks, so that harness would be good for something along the lines of 70/65w? I'd run silverstars for the rest of winter then look into maybe rampage H4 lamps.
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cibie, Hella, IPF, or AutoPal H-4 housings. Rampage housings are not very good. 70/65w will be fine.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Kleber
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Cibie, Hella, IPF, or AutoPal H-4 housings. Rampage housings are not very good. 70/65w will be fine.
Okay thanks for the help
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Why dont you recommend Rampage?
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
+1

I have Hella e-codes with the e-autoworks H4 harness and they are incredably bright. The Hellas come with 60/55w bulbs, try them and "see" if you really need brighter bulbs, I doubt that you will. Make sure that you ground the harness well, and replace the 8-bezel mounting screws, which I am sure are rusted wtih #8 x 1/2 stainless steel screws. JB

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/halogen...003427861.html

residentg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here's a hokey write-up I did after installing 3 of the eautoworks harnesses. Hope it helps.

Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXJ91 View Post
Why dont you recommend Rampage?
They look cool, but the light distirbution pattern sucks.

Unread 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
bobbo_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.
good stuff. this should save time, thanks. my weak lights will soon be a memory.
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
griff95zj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i have a question. a buddy just gave me HIDs with the projector housing yesterday, they work great until you turn the hi beams on, then one goes out, will an upgraded wiring harness fix that or do i need to put a relay in the wiring?
griff95zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went with 55/100 watt H4 bulbs (in Autopal housings). That works great, has "normal" low beams that don't annoy anyone, and maximum high-beam power. The difference in my lights (half harness, half new lights) was amazing.

griff95zj, what projector housings are you using? I've never seen any real projector housings that would fit in an XJ. What kind of pattern do they produce? I'm a big fan of a legit projector HID set-up (they put an unbelievable amount of light down the road where you need it, and less into the eyes of oncoming traffic than a regular halogen headlight), but am a huge opponent of "HID conversions" (stick a pair of HID bulbs in a halogen housing, and you put LESS light down the road than the halogens, and spray a huge amount of light around in useless, annoying directions - it's a worse "upgrade" than tinted headlights, IMHO).
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
I....stick a pair of HID bulbs in a halogen housing, and you put LESS light down the road than the halogens, and spray a huge amount of light around in useless, annoying directions - it's a worse "upgrade" than tinted headlights.
QFT, don't do it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.