Headlight switch, wire bundle melted - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Headlight switch, wire bundle melted

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
This is pretty much the same as mine, mine looks cleaner because I've replaced some stuff, and cleaned up the wiring (been working on the wiring for YEARS now) put new breakers in and added a extra line to the headlights with 30 or I think 40 amp breaker.
You battery cables do show some signs of corrosion; looks to me like the insolation on your ground cable is compromised and exposing the wire. Also your ground is not connected to the frame it looks like. You can find a wire brush to clean your battery posts and leave them shiny looking good. Might use some baking soda on the battery connectors.

Get rid of that Fram filter... That's what you get for exposing some naked pix of your XJ

Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, dump the FRAM!

As for the battery stuff, yea.. I'd clean up them cables a bit. Corrosion sucks and hurts the connection badly.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #18
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
You battery cables do show some signs of corrosion; looks to me like the insulation on your ground cable is compromised and exposing the wire. Also your ground is not connected to the frame it looks like. You can find a wire brush to clean your battery posts and leave them shiny looking good. Might use some baking soda on the battery connectors.

Get rid of that Fram filter... That's what you get for exposing some naked pix of your XJ
LOL.....

No that's NOT my XJ, just same year - I didn't have time to take and post a pic.

I still need to clean up the Pos cables a little. I also want to replace all the fuse-able links with breakers - I hate fuse-able links! It's cheap crappy solution.
p1050665-batt-comp.jpg  
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Yes, dump the FRAM!

As for the battery stuff, yea.. I'd clean up them cables a bit. Corrosion sucks and hurts the connection badly.
So,.. What's with Fram filters, anyway?
What kind do you use, recommend?
Unread 12-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
waffalz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys ok so my switch was smoking and I lost all tailights/gauge lights so I opened up my dash and the orange and blk wire is melted what does this mean need answers ASAP !!!!!!!!
waffalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #21
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Skip looking into LEDs. They cant throw enough light, and if they can, you can buy a new XJ with the amount they cost.

LED costs for headlamps are so bad BMW started looking into lasers as a cheaper solution.. laser light diffused by phosphor coatings to scatter the light.

And properly aimed and setup lights wont blind people.
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
cold_steel

Man this headlight system is the most jacked up junk I have ever seen. I cannot believe with all these gear heads and smart people on here there is no clear cut thread on how to resolve this headlight issue.
I mean its wires burning!!! That is amatuer hour, what electrical engineer is designing this.
I read a thread about the fan motor melting wires. What the hell were they thinking?
This is crazy...
cold_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #23
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffalz View Post
Hey guys ok so my switch was smoking and I lost all tailights/gauge lights so I opened up my dash and the orange and blk wire is melted what does this mean need answers ASAP !!!!!!!!
It means the the headlight Power draw (or/and other lights) over-heated the wires to the point that the insulation melted and since the wires sit next to each other they shorted.

You will prob need to replace the wires at least up to where the short is.
If you turn the lights on now it will prob get worse, unless you burned a fusable link - check them, near batt at the main power relay

I replaced the switch with toggles (and have indicator lights so I can tell with a glance which lights are on - day or night)
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #24
waffalz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man
waffalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #25
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Skip looking into LEDs. They cant throw enough light, and if they can, you can buy a new XJ with the amount they cost.

LED costs for headlamps are so bad BMW started looking into lasers as a cheaper solution.. laser light diffused by phosphor coatings to scatter the light.

And properly aimed and setup lights wont blind people.
$500 for set of LED 5x7" Headlamps

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lighting-Jee..._pn=POI27450CK

Oh, and BTW, your headlights are the best RADAR reflector ! (another reason I wanted to go LED, but just a flat panel full of LEDs)
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
tonytwotimes

Was anything else spliced into the headlight circuit? LIke are their any electrical components that don't work if you don't have your headlights on or any little piggy tails comming of the hot side?

I ask because people seem to be so smitten by running every aux componrent they can on the headlight circuit. I just bought an 88 cherokee that had almost the exact same issue. The dash was ripped completely out and he said I was gonna have to re wire the whole jeep. Turns out, he had a winch, stereo amp, and stereo head all worked into the hot wire right behind the dimmer switch.

I went to the junkyard and cut the harness back as far as i could under the dash in an old xj and then stopped at auto zone for a new switch on the way home. A few new fuses, and the good ol' smell check and now all my lights work.

Sadly, this is not the first time I had dealt with an issue like this. I once turned the heater on in an 85 Ram I had while driving down the freeway at night. Suddenly it was very dark and very cold. Toggle switch heater directly into the drivers side headlight socket.
tonytwotimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight switch , lights , toggle , wire harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.