Headlight switch assembly/part help- 2000 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Headlight switch assembly/part help- 2000 XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Headlight switch assembly/part help- 2000 XJ

2000 xj.

I had a headlight issue a while back and I ended up replacing the headlight control switch in the dashboard. Everything seemed to fix itself from there.

After I installed the switch (twisting plunger type for headlights on and dashboard brightness) I realized I am missing something.

The plunger just sticks in the hole and is loose. So at some point there seemed to be a plastic bracket or twist in something that held the controller in place on the backside of the dashboard. I have no idea how or where to order this part from. I have checked the major car parts stores and some forums but can't seem to find the part. I'm sure it is a 5 dollar something but for the life of me, I can't seem to find this thing. So the whole switch assembly is loosely sitting in the hole on the dash board and turning it on and off is pain in the ***.

Ok, forum wizards... help a brother out.

theHouseOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I doubt that part is available new, I suggest a visit to the junkyards.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good advice! Ok, problem solved. I went to the Junk Yard and ripped the dashboard apart from some poor old Jeep in their lot. The thing had 138,000 miles with a blown motor (its what the sticker said.... makes me sad) Anyway, It turns out I was not looking for a replacement screw or bolt. After inspecting the whole bracket from the part car, I realized whoever worked on my car in the past broke the small plastic collar that sits between the copper nut and the headlight switch assembly. The plastic collar is sandwiched in-between.

I did have to remove the center plastic console, the plastic underneath the steering wheel, the instrument panel and the small electric connections on the instrument panel. All in all it was an easy fix.
jeep3.jpg   jeep4.jpg   jeep5.jpg  
jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

theHouseOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.