Headlight relay harness - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
bobbybusch
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Headlight relay harness

Hi everyone, I just recently joined the forum and was looking for some easy upgrades to start on my XJ and I found the relay harness upgrade for the headlights. I checked out the other relay harnesses I saw that lots of people recommended and they looked good, but some reviews complained of cheap parts and poor construction. I did a little more research and found Dapper Lighting here in Novato California. I looked through their products for headlight upgrades and found a few options, but I'm waiting until they come out with a LED option for the Cherokee. However I did find that they also make a relay harness, I called them up and ordered one with the right connectors and received it shortly after. I just installed it the other day and its fantastic! Pretty big difference between with and without the new harness! The harness is well built and very easy to install. Its also cheaper than the other option I've found recommended on the forums!! I highly recommend them for any relay harness needs and even upgraded headlights. They have at least one customer who has put their lights in his XJ you can check it out on their Instagram or on their website. They also make light bars and interior lights as well.

Go check them out, Dapper Lighting, under relay harnesses

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 02:10 AM
un4gvn1
Web Wheeler

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Nice site. I just ordered a relay harness for my tow rig. Been putting it off seeing as I don't drive it very often.

While I was giving 'em my money, I ordered LED 2357 white bulbs for the rear & 2357 ambers for the front.

Guess I need to add an electronic flasher unit to my next Amazon order, lol.

Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 02:51 AM
Ralph77
Web Wheeler

Curious because this is on my upgrade list for next year. Is this the harness you bought?

https://www.dapperlighting.com/colle...g-h4-relay-kit

Are you still running stock lamps? Because I have no desire to upgrade to anything beyond the H6054BL which are supposedly a better version of a stock H6054.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMAH...earchIndex=App

post #4 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 03:03 AM
un4gvn1
Web Wheeler

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Curious because this is on my upgrade list for next year. Is this the harness you bought?

https://www.dapperlighting.com/colle...g-h4-relay-kit

Are you still running stock lamps? Because I have no desire to upgrade to anything beyond the H6054BL which are supposedly a better version of a stock H6054.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMAH...earchIndex=App
I don't know if you are asking me or bobbybusch, but I bought the 4 light version of that harness because my GMC is a 4 light system. I'll be running the stock lights for a while at least, may go to halogen lights at some point. When I did the harness on my XJ, I ran the OE lights for a little while until I got my H4 lamp assemblies. Worked fine, and noticeably brighter.

You should be fine with any quality headlamp, sealed beam or H4.

Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 03:16 AM
Ralph77
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn1 View Post
I don't know if you are asking me or bobbybusch, but I bought the 4 light version of that harness because my GMC is a 4 light system. I'll be running the stock lights for a while at least, may go to halogen lights at some point. When I did the harness on my XJ, I ran the OE lights for a little while until I got my H4 lamp assemblies. Worked fine, and noticeably brighter.

You should be fine with any quality headlamp, sealed beam or H4.
Was asking bobbybusch but thank you for your input.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
bobbybusch
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I am running stock lamps. Not even the Sylvania Silverstars or the Xtravision. Just the plain old cheap 35/65 watt headlights. If you do the harness with those bulbs you mentioned, you should notice quite the difference. Most people recommend doing the relay harness before putting any higher wattage bulbs in (those bulbs you mentioned are about 20 watts higher than the cheap stock version on low beam). I do however plan to upgrade headlights completely. Im holding out for Dapper Lighting LEDs or i may just go with a halogen bulb not the sealed beam type.

Last edited by bobbybusch; 09-19-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: adding more info
post #7 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM
imthehink
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Don't spend more than you have to on a harness. This harness is built very well http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Headlight-H4-Headlamp-Light-Bulb-Ceramic-Socket-Plugs-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Kit-/253149301974?hash=item3af0dfccd6:ggMAAOSwLghZt87 l&vxp=mtr
I used the harness I listed and Autopal Ecode housings for years with no issues and were night and day difference until I got my Trucklites.

1999 XJ
4.5" BDS and Stuff.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthehink View Post
Don't spend more than you have to on a harness. This harness is built very well http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Headlight-...hZt87l&vxp=mtr
I used the harness I listed and Autopal Ecode housings for years with no issues and were night and day difference until I got my Trucklites.
Nice find.

I use the same harness but paid more.

No issues, works great.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM
2oldjeeps

oops quote;

Don't spend more than you have to on a harness. This harness is built very well http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Headlight-...hZt87l&vxp=mtr

my dumb question, do i need just this one item for both headlights in my 00 sport?,,,or two? pix is not clear for two light sockets .

Last edited by 2oldjeeps; 09-19-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: ?
post #10 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
bobbybusch
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Should only need one, it looks like there are 2 bright yellow connectors for the headlights. All the harnesses I've seen come with 2 connectors.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
oops quote;
my dumb question, do i need just this one item for both headlights in my 00 sport?,,,or two? pix is not clear for two light sockets .
Only one harness is needed for your 00.

Harness has:
2 relays, Bright/Dim
1 male plug, mimics light bulb plugs into stock headlight socket (pass side)
2 female bulb sockets, one for each headlight
post #12 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 PM
2oldjeeps

ok, thanks guys,,makes sense. i see it now. gonna order and do it.

Tags
headlight , headlight upgrade , headlights , lighting , relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.