Headlight Harness Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Headlight Harness Install

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
kidcahtah

Headlight Harness Install

Hey I just purchased the e-autoworks headlight harness upgrade to use with my Deltas. I was having trouble finding help on how to install this bad larry. It looked kinda straightforward from the directions but if there isnt a write-up, any tips or suggestions? I'm not the most electrically inclined. Thanks

kidcahtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

HD Headlight Harness write up - Jeep Cherokee Forum
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
siuXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I installed an eautoworks harness a few weeks ago. My advice, pull your grill and headlights. Pop the hood and run the harness first. The end with the 2 hot wires goes by the battey. You will need to mount the relays near the battery since the plugs in the harness are on that end. I used the ground screw for the battery to mount the bracket. If you don't have cruise control you can mount the bracket in that area on the passenger side of the fuse box.

Run the rest of the harness down along with the factory wiring. Get a larger plastic wire loom if you need to for the section that will go across the lower grill area (mine barely fit in the stock loom). Zip tie as needed. Once you have run everything you will see that 3 male prong plug on the harness, that goes into the passenger headlight socket. Then your lamp will plug into the female 3 plug on the harness. On the drivers side you just need to plug the drivers lamp into the new harness, just pull the factory socket out of the way. Each socked on the harness has a ground you will need to mount. I ran mine up through the engine bay and mounted them using a radiator bolt on the core support. You can really mount them wherever you'd like, just make sure the area is nice clean metal (sand a bit if need be).

After your grounds are hooked up and lamps are plugged in and mounted, plug the 2 harness plugs up by the power end into the relays you mounted, doesn't matter which relay you use for each plug. Once this is done, pop your fuse box cover, and on the front end of the box there is another small plastic cap, remove that. There will be 2 power terminals there, this is where I mounted the power wires for the harness. Once you have done this try them out. Then put your grill back in and enjoy.
siuXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
kidcahtah

Will this effect my fog light usage at all?
kidcahtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

From FitchVA's headlight harness writeup:

Quote:
I hesitated so long to publish this writeup because there is a small flaw in the configuration of the wiring if you have factory fog lights. With the harness installed and the fog lights turned on, if you turn your lights on with the low beams active, then go to hi beams and back to low, all of the lighting elements in the bulbs will stay illuminated. Essentially giving you the light output of 4 headlights. While this is good for your visibility, it will cause your lights to burn out in short order.
FitchVA’s Jeep Page Writeups Upgraded Headlight Wiring Harness
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Johnny1953
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did the harness upgrade from Eautoworks & the only change I did was to take the fuseable links out & put in a fuse setup & used 30 amp circuit breakers in it that way if I have a promblem I'm not out truing to rewire my headlights over a fuseable link going out & With the circuit brakers, I won't be out changing fuses, I'll be able to get home to fix it. I used the cheap ebay headlights & put in a set of better bulbs & the light out put is great, I see other cherokees with thier little yellow lights & feel sorry for them. The same setup will work on older model S-10's witht he square headlights
Johnny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.