Headers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Headers

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
sajohnson05
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Headers

I am looking to put new headers on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee and was wondering what is the best brand to get. Also, how hard is it for a novice/moderate guy to do and what tools would i need?

sajohnson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a link to a special site that will show you the answers that are already out there for your questions and more should you want to know even more. CLICK HERE

Or you can CLICK HERE for info that's already here on JeepForum that will help you.

Today's reply has been made possible by:

A grant from the Search Before Posting Foundation, the Association for the Reduction of "What's best?" Posts, and by mschi772's currently crabby mood.

FOLLOWUP:
As with almost every other "What's best?" question, it depends on you. What do you want? Cheap? Durable? Just a replacement? Some kind of performance improvement (what kind)? A little research will show that not all headers are created equally or are designed for the same outcomes. In general, APN's XJ header is often recommended, has a fair price, and is relatively durable, but perhaps you're looking for something different than what APN's header is capable of providing.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have a rugged ridge, I've run it over three years and it's always performed well, no leaks, no cracks.

I bought the unpainted version for ~$200, approx 4 years ago.

It's a header, since there's only one.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post

FOLLOWUP:
As with almost every other "What's best?" question, it depends on you. What do you want? Cheap? Durable? Just a replacement? Some kind of performance improvement (what kind)? A little research will show that not all headers are created equally or are designed for the same outcomes. In general, APN's XJ header is often recommended, has a fair price, and is relatively durable, but perhaps you're looking for something different than what APN's header is capable of providing.
I agree... depends on what you are looking to do. APN makes a good manifold / header... and the kit comes with everything. Took me 2 hours to do with 2 sets of hands. Got one coming this week for my XJ (finally).
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
sajohnson05
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am not looking for a replacement header, i am looking for a header that both looks, sounds and gives better performance then my stock header and that I won't have to worry about cracking or replacing anytime soon.
sajohnson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Got one coming this week for my XJ (finally).
Where did you order the APN from? I know Amazon had it listed earlier this year and not it is not available from them. And APN doesn't have it listed on their site anymore.
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverX View Post
Where did you order the APN from? I know Amazon had it listed earlier this year and not it is not available from them. And APN doesn't have it listed on their site anymore.
Ineedparts.com is who sells it now but it looks like right now they are out of stock.

http://www.ineedparts.com/apn-jeep-e...-manifold.html
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, just saw the post. Thats where mine came from. They ship pretty quick.
Unread 11-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've been running a Doug Thorley header(same design as Kolac 's),for 10 years.These headers are 14 gauge and nickel chromed. No cracks and no problems.

Last edited by MossGreen97; 11-23-2012 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Info change
MossGreen97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossGreen97 View Post
I've been running a Doug Thorley header(same design as Kolac 's),for 10 years.These headers are 24 gauge and nickel chromed. No cracks and no problems.
Hey I used to know Doug when my father was alive. He's used to give me rides during the route 66 show n go parades in his red (67?) firebird with headers through the hood and spark plugs and injectors in the manifolds throwing flames 10 feet in the air. I believe it was the Old Fart Racing Team that my father belonged to...ahhhh memories...One of the best exhaust fabricators of all time. Haven't heard his name in a while and crazy your from Louisiana....
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.