Head gasket/ high rpms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Head gasket/ high rpms

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 09-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Head gasket/ high rpms

So I changed out a cracked 0331 head with a tupy 0331 from an 01 Cherokee. After cleaning things up I got it installed. I've now got a bad problem with high rpm. At first I forgot to tighten the bottom bolts but soon got those taken care of. While doing so I noticed the fuel line was starting to split out where it connected to the intake. I tried putting a wrap around it to keep it from leaking but it still has a pretty steady drip. Could this be causing the high rpm or is it something to do with the intake/exhaust manifolds? I made sure all bolts were tight about 4 different times and each time no luck. Seems like it's getting a lot of air!

Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainhop91 View Post
So I changed out a cracked 0331 head with a tupy 0331 from an 01 Cherokee. After cleaning things up I got it installed. I've now got a bad problem with high rpm...... Seems like it's getting a lot of air!

Either the intake manifold is not properly seated onto the block or you have a vacuum leak. If there is a fuel leak, fix it.

Most often an improperly seated intake manifold is the cause of the high rpm. Make sure the dowel pins on the head are fully engaged into the holes on the intake.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
SaarXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Don't run it while the fuel is leaking...
and it sounds like CJ7-Tim is right, your engine gets more air than it should and therefore more fuel, so the rpm raises...
remove the manifold and verify the gasket is not broken, then tighten it again.
While not playing with my Jeep, I play other racing games or fixing my Alfa Spider :)
SaarXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I only ran it after I thought a tried a few things. I'll be getting to the intake tomorrow. What's the best way of taking care of the hard line without buying a new one?
Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.