Hatch Suspension Rod Connection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hatch Suspension Rod Connection

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
tyvega

Hatch Suspension Rod Connection

92 Jeep Cherokee Sport.

I've had this issue since I've had the Jeep but am getting to the point that I'd like it fixed. The metal "nipple" that the hatch suspension rod connects to (on the Jeep's body, not the hatch) is loose enough that the suspension rod disconnects every time I open the hatch, yet it is "Stuck" enough that I can't unscrew and replace it with a new one. Basically it wobbles and spins but will not come out.

See attached images. One shows me pushing on the nipple in one direction, and the other image shows me pushing in the opposite direction (shows wobble).

I'm looking for a way to keep the suspension rod connected when I open the hatch and/or replace this component. Anyone out there have suggestions?

jeepknob1.jpg   jeepknob2.jpg  
tyvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go to the bone yard, find a cherokee and take it apart to see how it's put together. If it's screwed in, the nutsert is probably loose in the body. If you can get the old one out, maybe something like this will work?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=mtgjus

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.