harmonic balancer repair sleeve advise needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > harmonic balancer repair sleeve advise needed

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
xtreme1996
1992 XJ Cherokee 

harmonic balancer repair sleeve advise needed

Hi all,
I have a 1992 Cherokee w/ a 4.0 liter 6cyl. I narrowed this oil leak to the front crankshaft oil seal, however with the record of this vehicle I have to assume it needs a repair sleeve. I have a good handle on fixing the seal, but need advice on repair sleeve installation. I need a general description of the procedure, most importantly I need to know if I need an installation tool, and if so, where can I get a deal on one online?

thanks much!

xtreme1996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

You will probably be ahead to replace the balancer if it's original. The rubber in the balancer doesn't last forever. Balancer failure in older XJs is fairly common.

You can buy a new balancer from rockauto for less than the cost of the sleeve and tool.

Last edited by tangofox007; 11-04-2008 at 08:48 AM..
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
freemans97XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I installed the sleeve on mine when I replaced the engine. It is really not that hard to do.

After you remove the timing cover and put in a new seal, place the balancer in the freezer. When you are ready to put on the sleeve, place it in a pan of very hot water. Once it is nice and warm, remove the balancer from the freezer and slide the warm sleeve on to it. I had to use a flat block of soft wood and a rubber mallet to get it on all the way, but it did go.

Once it is on all the way, re-install your balancer (don't forget the little flat washer that goes behind the balancer). Here is a pic of the sleeve I installed::

Let me know if you have any questions,

John
Unread 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
CockyB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^ what he said, oh, and also read below
Red Jeep Club #492
http://www.jbccoffroad.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
Stop spelling "advice" with an S instead of a C. Advise is a verb, advice is a noun. EXAMPLES:
"Thanks for the advice."
"I advise you to learn how to spell."
CockyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
xtreme1996
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyB View Post
^ what he said, oh, and also read below
thanks for no added value
Unread 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Tangofox. Balancer cost is low enough that sleeving it is not worth the time/effort, and the balancer itself tends to fail with age. A balancer with a groove in it in the seal area is an old balancer---one that is close to rubber bonding failure time.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
xtreme1996
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for all the help.

i took off the balancer to discover my timing cover was worn through, apparently due to bad balancer. so i ordered new timing cover and balancer and started a new thread.
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
kmd8963
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme1996 View Post
thanks for all the help.

i took off the balancer to discover my timing cover was worn through, apparently due to bad balancer. so i ordered new timing cover and balancer and started a new thread.
Did It Stop The Oil Leaking From Behind The Balancer? I Changed The Seal & Balancer & Oil Pan Gasket. & It Still Leaks From Behind The Balancer, Bottom..
kmd8963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
graxirena
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Washer???

Question! When you remove the center bolt, is there a washer there I need to tap out and remove so I can put my tool inside the balancer?
graxirena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
kmd8963
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graxirena View Post
Question! When you remove the center bolt, is there a washer there I need to tap out and remove so I can put my tool inside the balancer?
Yes, U Need To Remove The Washer.
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
kmd8963
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does Anyone Know About The Washer Behind The Balancer? Does It Have Rubber On It, like A 1/4" Thick, To Prevent The Balancer From Rubbing Against The Timing Case? Or Is Best To Replace The Timing Case Cover? Thanx
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
kmd8963
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
I agree with Tangofox. Balancer cost is low enough that sleeving it is not worth the time/effort, and the balancer itself tends to fail with age. A balancer with a groove in it in the seal area is an old balancer---one that is close to rubber bonding failure time.
New Balancer Cost Me $46 @ Advance Auto.
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
graxirena
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Washer???

is the washer before or AFTER the HB??? Looks like there is one before, right after I remove the center bolt...not sure...BUT I dont see the keys groove.
graxirena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.