Harmonic Balancer Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Harmonic Balancer Issues

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
A_damnation
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Harmonic Balancer Issues

Okay, so, I have had a squealing since I had a friend helping with my xj (never let a chevy tech touch my mopar again). Anyways, since then, there has been a squeal, I changed out the idler pully, but I still hear it every now and then, but it isn't persistent anymore.

I decided to change my Harmonic balancer finally. The rubber inside has been creeping its way out for some time now, and I decided it was time. My problem now is, the center bolt on the crankshaft seems seized in there. I took the belt off, tried putting it in gear and turning the bolt, but the balancer just spun. So I grabbed it with some vicegrips, which is working out for trying to loosen the bolt, but I would really be hating myself if I broke the head off of the bolt.... Figured I would wait until my xj has cooled down seeing as it is still warm, though it has been sitting for about an hour, almost 2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I would like to know a way to keep the motor from turning during removal and install would be great, also about the seized bolt. The jeep is a '87 pioneer xj, 4.0 straight 6

A_damnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You can take the starter out and stick a crow bar on the teeth of the fly wheel to keep the engine from turning.
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Impact wrench......borrow one or go to someone who will break it loose.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
A_damnation
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I managed to get the bolt out. I used my ratchet, and a crescent wrench to act as a breaker bar, also used copious amounts of WD-40.

Current problem is the first "specialty" tool I got from Reilly was more of a universal puller, and my harmonic balancer does not have threads in the holes that are around the center. So that one was a no go. The second one I got is a Crystler specific tool, that has three claws. The issue with this one is, as I tighten it, the claws start out grabbing, but as I turn the bolt more and more, one claw pops off. I think it could be from the WD-40 on the balancer itself, but I am unsure and I am getting very frustrated with this.

If anyone knows a way to get the balancer off using other means safely, I would like the input. Cause I'm about to start beating on it with a mallet and punch to knock it off....
A_damnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

The holes ARE threaded and that's the only way to remove the balancer.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, that claw puller is a joke. Go back and use the first one. Should be three bolts that fit. Don't forget to remove the washer that sits in the middle. It can be hard to see if it's gunked up. And don't beat on it.. For obvious reasons lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.