Harmonic Balancer (crank pulley) slight wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Harmonic Balancer (crank pulley) slight wobble

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Harmonic Balancer (crank pulley) slight wobble

Is a slight wobble normal with the 4.0 balancer?

01 jeep xj sport
amc242 4.0 i6

The balancer had a wobble befroe and some corrosion on it so I changed it, and yet still a wobble and its been that way for a while, what's the possible cause or causes?

calvin196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Changed it with new one? There shouldn't be any movement at all.
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

No, it shouldn't wobble at all. You say you changed it... with what? New part or junkyard?
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
No, it shouldn't wobble at all. You say you changed it... with what? New part or junkyard?
I replaced it with a brand new ATP harmonic balancer, stock specs everything. BRAND NEW :P

I installed it properly also replaced woodruff key with brand new one. It's a slight back/forth wobble almost some could consider it a "shake" maybe? Here is a video that resembles what my jeep is doing.

Do keep in mind this isn't my actual video, it just resembles what my harmonic balancer is doing precisely. I see he says he changed his balancer but I've done the same, torqued to spec everything, used puller / presser and the jeep runs great and has no noticeable performance loss at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIy7gF-4Z2o

Last edited by calvin196; 09-30-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Is it kicking off your serpentine belt? Does it wobble in and out or up and down?
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
Is it kicking off your serpentine belt? Does it wobble in and out or up and down?
My serpentine belt is fine, ac engaged etc.. everything is fine, it doesn't seem to actually "move" and I just went outside and recorded this to show you exactly what my pulley is doing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1PWAtKMYY
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well about 4 seconds of that video were on the harmonic balancer, and it didnt appear to wobble to me?

Maybe try a minute vid with it fixed on the HB. And throw some serious revs.

If its wobbling in and out of the block, you got crankwalk and your block may need to be replaced. If its off balance (up and down) you may have a bad replacement, bent crank, or severely worn main bearings.

To me: it looked and sounded ok. 4.0s are noisy.
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well about 4 seconds of that video were on the harmonic balancer, and it didnt appear to wobble to me?

Maybe try a minute vid with it fixed on the HB. And throw some serious revs.

If its wobbling in and out of the block, you got crankwalk and your block may need to be replaced. If its off balance (up and down) you may have a bad replacement, bent crank, or severely worn main bearings.

To me: it looked and sounded ok. 4.0s are noisy.

Ok, yea its just a very slight wobble, if you look at the belt where it leads to the HB yuo can see a wobble in the belt, its like a back/forth but not in / out wobble or up / down its hard to explain, It's a fixed wobble if that makes any sense, I don't see the crank actually moving in any way.
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If u can, Make another vid of it fixed on the balancer and rev it up.
Unread 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If u can, Make another vid of it fixed on the balancer and rev it up.
I think the slight movement is normal? I found a video of a newly rebuilt amc 242 and there is the same "wobble" on his harmonic balancer as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kZfPmw2lw

that's the video in reference.
Unread 09-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i didnt see a wobble in that one either? That vid sounded like a misfire.

Gotta see a video of the HB where the camera is fixed. Moving it around and around makes it impossible to see from my POV.
Unread 09-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

I did not see any noticeabe wobble from the HB, but the camera kept moving about too much to study it well.

Where is your FAN SHROUD? That a is major help to pulling air through the mechanical fan!!
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
I did not see any noticeabe wobble from the HB, but the camera kept moving about too much to study it well.

Where is your FAN SHROUD? That a is major help to pulling air through the mechanical fan!!
The genius that helped me get my hood up snapped it off and said "oops"... Haven't felt the need to get a new one as my electrical fan is non-existent due to that also being improperly re-installed after the radiator was replaced.

Also I do know its hard to study it, but I was trying to get many different angles not knowing which would have been best, also I'm using a hand-held camera nothing fancy and I don't have a camera stand or anything so its hard to get a steady shot of the harmonic balancer. If you really look you can see the slight wobble in the belt as well as the Harmonic Balancer when carefully watching. I am very picky but it is quite a bad wobble to the bare eye, the camera doesn't really do much justice even at 60 fps.
Unread 10-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

you have no fan shroud and no efan

And i went and looked at mine. Its got a very slight wobble, seems to be normal.
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I got seasick watching that video; keep the camera steady next time. And yes, replace the shroud and get the E-fan working. Unless you want the engine to overheat...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.