Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hard Time Starting.

829 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mattathayde 
#1 ·
So when i go to start my 1990 XJ it usually takes 5-10 seconds before it starts, any clues as to why?

#2 ·
That is pretty common on your model.

#3 ·
Im not too worried because my friend has gone through 3 jeeps and they all start like this, im just curious if there is a fix or if i should be worried

#5 ·
ya up to 10 seconds to start is "standard" i had a conversation with my grandfather who teaches auto mechanics about starting time a while back and he said that especially on older motors 10 seconds is nothing to worry about.

while i am just taking educated guesses at this point i would be willing to bet the fact the fuel delivery system is just slower to prime up. i dont know off hand what style that had but the most "advanced" system it has was multi port, if not TBI or carb'ed so the fuel has to take a bit longer to get there (i wait to be corrected because i half expect im off on the wrong direction but idk maybe i had a good edjumikated guess)

-matt

#8 ·
honestly unless you rebuilt the motor and made sure to get all new electronics you probably wont make much head way. if it is consistent then dont worry

have you done all your maintenance (plugs, rotor cap, wires, maybe sea foam it, fuel filter, compression test, etc)

hmm i had assumed in my last post its an 84 by your name i think. my best friend had a 90 XJ now it has been sold to another friend, it some times took a while to start but it always did. run your basic maintenance, things that are over looked on that are the vac lines hat run from the PCV valve to the air box need to be swapped every 30-40k (check you air filter too to see if there is oil on it). if the slightly extra maintance has not been taken you probably have some blow by (it was common in that motor any way) and a valve cover gasket + cleaning the valve cover, swapping those lines and a new air filter might help a bit since your air/ventilation might be hindered. if you plugs are dirty that could add to long starts, dirty injectors (i think that has multi port ) even maybe a weak battery or starter could be causing it

run the maintenance to make sure its all sound and if it doesnt speed up o well you at least keeping it consistent

-matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.