Hard To Start --- Hesitiation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hard To Start --- Hesitiation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-03-2002, 09:40 PM   #1
CruzNlife1

Hard To Start --- Hesitiation

Causes for both,

i don't care how stupid it sounds toss out every single idea it could possibly be, from the most obvious, to the strangest to the most difficult, thanks =)

1996 Ranger Supercab....

1991 Mustang LX....

VERY SOON TO BE A BRAND NEW TJ OWNER, TRYING TO LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE RIGHT NOW !!
CruzNlife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2002, 11:41 AM   #2
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

dying battery, bad alternator, bad spark plug wire, bad spark plug, bad cap, dirty TB, O2 sensor, starter/starter solenoid, corroded battery terminals, bad ignition switch, fuel pump, fuel filter....

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2002, 12:22 PM   #3
arpy

try letting the fuel pump pressure up by turning the key to the run position and waiting a few seconds before you turn to the start postition, this often helps with hard starting. For the hesitation, try a good fuel system cleaner like Castrol or Chevron Techron. And as per the previous reply, check/replace the common ignition parts (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters etc).
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2002, 02:12 PM   #4
cladinshadow

If there's corrosion on your battery terminals pour some slightly warm baking soda / water mix on your terminals. Make sure your battery caps are closed though, you don't want this stuff gettin into your battery. It'll take care of the corrosion and stain your driveway. =c)

"Oh, thank god. It's some sort of rescue toaster."
cladinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2002, 08:17 PM   #5
CruzNlife1

its turning the engine just fine, its just cranks (((fast))) for about 5 full seconds, the battery is fine, its new and the terminals are still shiny with NO corrosion

1996 Ranger Supercab....

1991 Mustang LX....

VERY SOON TO BE A BRAND NEW TJ OWNER, TRYING TO LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE RIGHT NOW !!
CruzNlife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2002, 11:26 AM   #6
lexjeep

lets face it guys, its a jeep thing, this same question was asked about 5 months ago, many people replied saying that the 88 xj to a off the lot 02 xj did it. I cleaned my fule system and turn the key part way before starting and it helps... also pump the gas as its cranking. other than that I'm not sure of what else you can do that will make a difference. tell me if you solve it, but dont kill yourself over it, It makes a jeep have a personality
http://community.webshots.com/user/lex9258
lexjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2002, 03:16 PM   #7
geep

Probably the neutral safety switch

I have the same problem and I have been gettign around it by wiggling the transmission gear shifter. Maybe put it in neutral and try starting it.

If this works, you can get away with it for a while until the neutral switch eventually stops working. I may be close to having to replace it.

good luck
geep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #8
dano0o0o

Don't forget about that pesky crank position sensor. As that thing starts to go, it will be harder and harder to start until it's just plain impossible. Hmm...that doesn't really help the hesitation tho.....
dano0o0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.