hard shifting 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > hard shifting 4x4

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
sasquachYJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

hard shifting 4x4

i test drove a 2000 yesterday and when i shifted to 4 low the transfer case was grinding and wouldn't get in very easily and getting out of 4 low was even harder and it was grinding worse. also the gear indicator(park, reverse, drive, ect.) plate moved and wouldnt stay in place. could it be the indicator that causes the hard shifting, or a bad transfer case or neutral saftey switch? any suggestions

Unread 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Shifting into 4-low requires that the transmission be in Neutral and the Jeep is stopped or maybe rolling just a tiny bit (2-3 mph). Transfer cases that are not very often used in 4x4 can be a little reluctant to shift into and out of 4x4. Backing up a few feet after shifting out of 4x4 often helps. Sometimes, the 4x4 shifter lever needs to be adjusted for smooth 4x4 shifting.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i kinda have the same ?. except when i try to put my jeep in 4hi, i need to go into neutral, and its still hard to get it in there. now 4lo is a whole different story. its nearly impossible to get it into 4lo. and also almost impossible to get it out of 4lo. is this just because 4wd has never been used before i bought it.(previous owner was a freeway driver type deal)
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Probably stiff from lack of use. Lubricate the 4x4 shifter mechanism. When was the T-case fluid last changed ? Make sure the fill plug will come out before you drain the T-case. Re-fill with Dexron-III/Mercon transmission fluid. The 4x4 shifter mechanism may need to be adjusted.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Probably stiff from lack of use. Lubricate the 4x4 shifter mechanism. When was the T-case fluid last changed ? Make sure the fill plug will come out before you drain the T-case. Re-fill with Dexron-III/Mercon transmission fluid. The 4x4 shifter mechanism may need to be adjusted.
i have recently changed the t-case fluid with dexron3 but its still shifting hard. not as hard as before but still hard. im thinking im just gna have to put it in and out of 4wd until it loosens up.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
jkh
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Transfer cases that are not very often used in 4x4 can be a little reluctant to shift into and out of 4x4. Backing up a few feet after shifting out of 4x4 often helps.
So you shouldn't need to back up to get out of 4hi normally? Shouldn't even need to stop? Interesting, I have to back up to get out...

'98 XJ: UpCountry, bastard pack, 2" spacers, JK shocks, 31" BFG AT's
'81 Honda GL500
Colorado Jeep Club Member #399
jkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.