Hard to disengage 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Hard to disengage 4x4

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hard to disengage 4x4

This is my first XJ, so I don't know if it's normal, but it's a pain in the *** to get the damn thing in and out of 4x4. I really have to yank it to get it out and once it says its in 2wd, it takes some knocking about to get it to actually go back into 2wd. Normal for old XJs?

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How are you engaging/disengaging it? From a standstill tap the gas just enough to roll a little, shift into Neutral (trans, not transfercase) take both feet off the peddles and pull the transfer case shifter into 4wd. Same thing to get back into 2wd.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

4Hi should engage w/o effort.
4Lo you need to be rolling slowly with transmission in neutral and no driveline tension (as is, not stuck half way up a hill climb...)
Disengaging 4Lo sometimes helps to have transmission in neutral and some people say it helps to back up a few feet after shifting out.

You might have bent or mis-adjusted linkage, or maybe different sized tires (or one set is worn more than the other)?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here's how the factory wants you to do it.

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.